Digital Thermometer?

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by mnfred, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Hello Group, My digital meat thermometer has died. It won't register above ~131 degrees. I'm looking for suggestions. The one I had had a plug in cable so it could be placed outside the cooker, or the oven, when doing other things. Is there a brand that you can reommend bith for accuracy and longevity? Thanks.

2. acemakr

acemakr Smoking Fanatic

Have a look at the Maverick ET-73. Some have had some problems with it; I have not.

3. grizandizz

grizandizz Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Agreed, I love my ET-73!

4. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Here is a dumb question. Do you already have more than one thermo where you could have the probes plugged into the wrong base unit? I did that once. I hooked the wrong meat probe into the wrong base and both of them read all crazy. Just a thought.

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You should have a buch of back ups. I have 4 now and always looking for a good deal on more too. They do have a shelf life too. Theses days things don't last as long as things used to. I think they make them to brake so you have to buy another one.

6. ddave

ddave Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What he said. [​IMG]

Dave

7. john3198

john3198 Smoking Fanatic

I have 4. Three digital Onida's and ET-73. The ET is my favorite because of the dual probes and remote capability.

8. mr mac

mr mac Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I currently have a Taylor unit and the two new Kenmore remote units I bought a few weeks ago. The Taylor I've had for s few years now and it shows no signs of slowing down.

9. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Did you try changing the batteries and install quality alkaline (NOT heavy duty dollar store type!) batteries into it? Might be the power source, not the product itself.

10. mama's smoke

mama's smoke Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Maverick ET-73. I also have a cheaper Redi-Check that I use when I have more than one piece of meat in the smoker. They always read within a few temps of each other. I do a final check with an instant read thermometer. Might be overkill, but I'm a safety girl.

11. 3montes

3montes Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have a couple of Et-73's. I have had several probe failures in less than a year. I bought two extra probes of each. For the smoker and meat. As they die I most likely won't replace them.
    I will spend the money on good quality pocket meat thermomter for checking meat temps. Then replace my smoker analog therms wih a good quality analog.

12. donnylove

donnylove Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I've found this thermometer to be a lifesaver as a backup as well. Not digital, but gives the meat temp and the chamber temp. I have two of them taht I use regularly. Yes, you have to open your smoker to see the temp, but I generally only do that when I know that the timing is approximately right anyway (for foil, etc.)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23