different kind of prime this time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt dan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 2, 2007
Well, we all know prime is king of beef, and I love it like anyone else. Today I decided to do these 3 prime rib roasts. They are actually small for a roast, but good size for a ribeye steak. At 2- 21/2 inches thick, they had great fat content and looked wonderful after a weeks aging in the fridge.

Made up a new rub for these, and i was a little aprehensive, but they taste was excellent and the reviews from the company we had was a big thumbs up! These wre rubbed and rested in the fridge for 1 hr, and then another dusting of rub before they went into the Lang 60.

After a couple hrs and 2 sprtiz's with capt and AJ, they looked like this at 125-128 internal.

the primes were smoked at 245-260 over cherry and mullberry for 2 hrs and 15 minutes total. Here they are right of the pit and about to rest in foil for 15-20 minutes.

Oh man did they smell good. I got the ears of corn off the cooker and the wicked beans, and sliced these beauties up, actually butterflied them so they were slices of prime about 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick with juicy tender meat and rub on one side of each. They were excellent, and I will be using this method again.

the rarest was the one on top( shown below) and it came off at 142 internal, the other two were at 145 and 148 when they came off. I had the gas grill all heated up in case some of the guests wanted to "brand their beef", but all declined, and were happy they did. Got myself 1 of the fillets left for tomorrows dinner, sent one home with the guests.

Thanks for checkin out my Q.
cool.gif

SWEET! Man I love Ribeyes, good job.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

dan, that bottom pic says it all!!!!!!!!!! if i had points they would be headin your way!!!! that looks friggin awesome, u had some lucky guests!!!!!
great qview dan.

nice Dan.........LFRobert been asking me about prime rib info..........and then i got a hankering for em........now you do THIS to me.........lololol.

I WILL be doing a 3-4 rib prime here soon.........great looking meat dude.......

Dan that looks awesome
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks for the comments and points guys. Anyone who has never tried a smoked prime rib, you are missing out on a very flavorful cut of meat.Looking forward to tonights leftovers.
icon_smile.gif

Excellent looking slabs of meat. Just finished dinner, and my mouth's watering and gut is rumblin'. Nice job!

Capt
Looked like a great cook. I would take it one step futher and here is why.
The Maillard reaction occurs when the denatured proteins on the surface of the meat recombine with the sugars present. To do this you need to raise the pit temp up to 300 to 500 degrees. When your 10 to 15 degrees from your finish internal raise the pit close to 500 degrees and sear both sides, see the difference it makes to the flavor. You keep the good smoke and intensify the beef flavor. The time spent searing the meat will get you to the finish without over shooting.

Jim

Capt Dan;249084 said:
Well, we all know prime is king of beef, and I love it like anyone else. Today I decided to do these 3 prime rib roasts. They are actually small for a roast, but good size for a ribeye steak. At 2- 21/2 inches thick, they had great fat content and looked wonderful after a weeks aging in the fridge.

Made up a new rub for these, and i was a little aprehensive, but they taste was excellent and the reviews from the company we had was a big thumbs up! These wre rubbed and rested in the fridge for 1 hr, and then another dusting of rub before they went into the Lang 60.

After a couple hrs and 2 sprtiz's with capt and AJ, they looked like this at 125-128 internal.

the primes were smoked at 245-260 over cherry and mullberry for 2 hrs and 15 minutes total. Here they are right of the pit and about to rest in foil for 15-20 minutes.

Oh man did they smell good. I got the ears of corn off the cooker and the wicked beans, and sliced these beauties up, actually butterflied them so they were slices of prime about 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick with juicy tender meat and rub on one side of each. They were excellent, and I will be using this method again.

the rarest was the one on top( shown below) and it came off at 142 internal, the other two were at 145 and 148 when they came off. I had the gas grill all heated up in case some of the guests wanted to "brand their beef", but all declined, and were happy they did. Got myself 1 of the fillets left for tomorrows dinner, sent one home with the guests.

Thanks for checkin out my Q.
cool.gif
[/quo

I bet the bat dawg is a little heftier now. how can ya keep that cute critter off the supper plate. and supper plates that are Fine I say mighty fine..china sure don't eat like that. scewerd bugs maybe..lol..

Dang Dan... I have to find out where your butcher is...Thats a tastey lookin steak there. Sure does seperate nice. Looks like it'll melt in your mouth.

Two more days and counting....

jminion, Interesting article and link. I will hafta give that a try. That stickburner is pretty awesome, but It won't get up to 500 degrees without about a 10 minutes blast of fuel.With my other stuff on there two, it woulda been "not good for them". I will try it though on the propane, or the other charcoal flattop! Thanks for the response.
cool.gif

Really Nice looken beef there Dan!!

I really like the idea of butterflying so each guest gets there own steak and it has a nice smokey side to it---awesome!!

By the way, how long did the corn stay on there, just till it was slightly tender?

Did the smoke make it through the husk?

Points if they let me!!

PS--edit--sorry they didn't let give points out:-(

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky