Differences between the BPS and Walmart GOSM 3405 Wide?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dbarnett66

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Walmart has the GOSM wide version for $130. BPS does not show them on their website anymore. I am tempted to jump on the Walmart version if that is my only option. Or I could search high and low for the BPS version. Is it worth my time and money to spend $70 more bucks?

Thanks in advance...

Here are the specs from Landmann.com for the one Bass Pro Shop (Model 3605BGD, $199) did carry.  Surprised to see they no longer have it listed, have you called BPS?  

36" Gas One Door Wide Vertical Smoker

Premium features include:
  • Easy Access Door
  • Cool grip wire handles
  • 4 cooking grates
  • Push Button ignition
  • Porcelain coated steel water pan
  • Cast Iron Chip box
  • Dimension: 21" x 29" x 45.2"
  • Weight: 91.3 lbs.
  • Cooking Area: 1257 sq. inches
Here are the specs from the one at Wally World for $130. It's the smaller version.

The Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker is made of sturdy steel construction with a full front door to provide easy access to add wood, water or to check on food. It provides 667 square inches of smoking surface with four adjustment levels for the cooking grates. Plus, the Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker makes a great addition to any outdoor gathering with heavy duty handles for easy transport.

Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker:
[*]
Heavy gauge steel cooking cabinet with easy access large front door
[*]Cool grip front door wire handle[*]Porcelain coated water pan for easy cleanup[*]Cast iron smoker box[*]3 cooking grates and 4 adjustment levels[*]Rotary knob ignition[*]Cast brass burner for long life[*]Heavy duty side carrying handles[*]Adjustable damper for ultimate temperature control[*]Total dimensions are 25" x 18" x 43.25" (includes legs and handles)[*]Box only dimensions are 20" x 14" x 34"[*]Wide stance leg design for stability[*]18,000 BTU[*]Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker has a 667 sq. in. cooking area

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I called my local Bass Pro in Southern California and they are out of stock, but there are more on order. They said that the system shows more are coming in, but they have no date. i may wait for the larger unit at bass pro.

I'd probably hold out for the Big Block if you can.  The  3605BGD is a great smoker for the money and offers plenty of space.

Well, I made a trip up to Bass Pros Shop and I did verify again that their are none to be had for now, but the "system" shows that more are supposed to be coming in. I did look at the narrow version at BPS and I was a little concerned about the thin sheet metal when compared to the Masterbuilt that was sitting right next to it. The Masterbuilt propane smoker looked much beefier, especially in the door hinge area. If I were shopping the little guys, I would most likely opt for the master built which was $20 cheaper. My hope is that the 3605BGD is a little more beefier than the 3405.

I started with a UDS but the last few smokes have been tougher than they should be. I have had temps all over the place using various types of methods, (Minion, etc.) I also hate bending down to add charcoal or wood chunks, removing meat, removing grills, etc.  If the 3605BGD can alleviate some of that, I will be happy. I know that the side access will definitely help in the addition of wood chunks and meat removal and placement.

Thanks for the help....

Dan - East San Diego County

For what it is worth, BPS corporate did confirm that a shipment will be in within 30 days, but there is no exact date of shipment. I used the instant chat feature. They also won't be able to tell me if my closest store will have them or not.

I picked up the 3405 last week and put it together Saturday. I was disapointed in the construction and size compared to my other GOSM. This was mostly my fault- I bought my GOSM about 8 years ago and didn't really pay attention to the model number since it was the only propane smoker I had seen at the time. Apparently the model I own is the 3605GD- It is 2 inches taller and 2 inches deeper than the 3405. It is also constructed much better. I have not seasoned the new smoker so I am considering taking it back to Walmart and getting the new Masterbuilt XL propane smoker, since the mythical 'Big Block' may never come back.

well I only have one(two) question, is the masterbuilt XL smaller than the big block?  one other thing that really matter to me is built quality, the reason I am asking this is because, I sometimes smoke out in the open and if its breezy, I really need something that can hold on with a little wind.

caigur,

I have been told and I did verify that the GOSM BB and the Masterbuilt XL are just about the same size. There is a metal box that encloses the burner but there is a 1 inch gap all the way around for ventilation. My guess is that the box will give some protection, but I really do not know since I don't have strong winds where I live. You can check my photos out in my other thread as I did shoot an underneath picture of the drip cup. The box is in the background.

hey dbarnett thanks for that.  really helps

caigur,

I have been told and I did verify that the GOSM BB and the Masterbuilt XL are just about the same size. There is a metal box that encloses the burner but there is a 1 inch gap all the way around for ventilation. My guess is that the box will give some protection, but I really do not know since I don't have strong winds where I live. You can check my photos out in my other thread as I did shoot an underneath picture of the drip cup. The box is in the background.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky