Difference between chuck steaks/roasts?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by meatball, Dec 9, 2009.

1. meatball

meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Anyone know exactly what the difference is between a chuck steak and a chuck roast? I've bought plenty of chuck roasts, but our local grocery store has a great deal on chuck steaks this week and I can't say I've ever had them. Is is just a smaller cut of a chuck roast? Any help appreciated.

2. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The steaks are just slices off the roast. Just like rib eye steaks are sliced from the rib roast.

3. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Like he said. Basicly the same. There is a chuck arm roast and steak too, less marbling then a normal chuck steak/roast.

4. meatball

meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for asking this question there meatball. I always like to know as much about the stuff that I'm doing and I'm not real knowledgeable in the cuts of meats so thanks again.

6. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

7. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Just as Bassman said, and that includes the left/west coast versions.

8. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

And the steaks are excellent grilled. [​IMG]

9. john3198

john3198 Smoking Fanatic

Meatball - like the "Black and Tan"[​IMG]

10. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bassman nailed it for ya Meatball. When we used to take down cutting instructions on beef orders most folks new to buying half a beef would sometimes ask us what the difference was between a chuck roast and a chuck steak. Tounge in cheek my dad would answer "Oh, about two pounds." [​IMG]

Hit the steak with some tenderizer, garlic salt and CBP and grill or broil and you have some tasty eats.