Did we do away with points?

Discussion in 'Bugs, Glitches and Miscellaneous Forum Problems' started by rbranstner, May 24, 2010.

1. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Is the points system gone with this new page layout?

bearcarver likes this.
  2. tulsajeff

tulsajeff Master of the Pit Staff Member Administrator OTBS Member

Yes.. we don't have the points system now since it was a "made for vBulletin" thing but there is a way to give a post a thumbs up. I plan to let the software design team know that a points system is a really cool thing and see if we can get something like that reinstated down the road.

Good suggestion!!

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Of course not having the point system does have advantages [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
    meateater likes this.
  4. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Here here !!!  Jeff, if u forget to ask them about it, i promise not to remind you..[​IMG]

meateater likes this.
  5. dennisdocb

dennisdocb Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Agreed...[​IMG]

Ask them what???  I forgot...[​IMG]

6. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Boooooo I liked the points. What was wrong with the points?

bearcarver likes this.
  7. walle

walle Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Jeff,

You probably covered this as well - what about OTBS?  Is that out too?

8. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

OTBS is alive and kicking.

richoso1 likes this.
  9. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I see a "Rating" box at the top-right of the posts. It looks similar to the point system we had but I can't find a way to Rate a post.. any info on this.. Good job so far on the new platform..

richoso1 likes this.
  10. tulsajeff

The points system as we knew it in vBulletin is out for now but we do have a thumbs up feature.. in the bottom right of each post is a brown thumb icon that allows you to give the post a thumbs up. The rating at the top right is the number of thumbs up the post has received.

This is more" good post" oriented than "good member" oriented but maybe it's a better system.. I guess time will tell.

rbranstner and richoso1 like this.
  11. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you notice towards the bottom of a post, in the area of Reply, to the left of WIKI, there is a thumbs up icon. When you mouse-over it, it says "If this is a great post, give it a thumbs up". When you click on it, it will enter a number in sequence. I tried it on your post and now it shows a number.

Hope this helps ypou.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    smokey paul likes this.
  12. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yeah, I guess the advantage of no point system is that we can get lazy, and not do as good a job of showing Qview?[​IMG]

Kinda like playing ball, and not keeping score------OOOOps, how's that ankle?

Bearcarver

13. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The OTBS is alive and well, just as Brian mentioned. However, the criteria has changed.

OTBS Nomination Criteria

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    richoso1 likes this.
  14. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Isn't that how the world is turning? We're all winners.. Ughh

Ok, I see what it's all about.. I was looking at my post when I came up with the question and therefore did'nt see the aswer staring at me. Thanx

15. thunderdome

thunderdome Master of the Pit

Yeah...why would someone not like the points?

bearcarver likes this.
  16. chainsaw

chainsaw Smoking Fanatic

I was at a loss before about exactly how one achieved the points, explanations notwithstanding-did some mystery person decide you earned points and clicked a box? So when the green box went from one to two you did good? Maybe this is a good development.

It was ambiguous to a new person. I never got a good explanation, although it may have been spelled out in some fine print I didn't understand.

17. tulsajeff

I know what you mean.. I hate that mentality. My wife got into an argument with someone at another forum a while back about how everyone is smart in their own way and she was saying.."no actually their not. I have met some really stupid people in my life and sometimes meet folks like that on a daily basis."

I finally told her to give it up.. nowadays it is not politically correct to say that one person is better or smarter than another.

I was raised to believe if you work hard you succeed. If you don't work hard then you're probably gonna be a loser.

Oh.. don't even get me started..[​IMG]

I'm not against the points system at all.. that one we was using just happened to be a "made for vBulletin" system and now that we are on a different platform.. well.. you get the idea.

18. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

you strive for reward .

points were a reward.

i do not like having to change my browser to make things work!!!

i have spent more time on this forum than any others.

i have learned as much from this forum than any other

i have helped as much on this forum as any other.

as of now I do not like it!!

no smiley faces to give on this system???

19. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

The idea, as i see it, is that when you read a post that you like or one that contains info that you need or some one has acknowledged as helpful, then be sure to give it a thumbs up. Now we all have to remember that the thumb is way down there in the right hand corner[​IMG]

20. tulsajeff

Morkdach.. I understand, I really do.