Did this "burn" enough???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luv2camp35

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Powder Springs, GA
I have the Rival K.C. Smoker and have used it a few times. I am wondering if I have a problem with the heating element for the chip section. The pictures below are before and after use today. These are mesquite chips that were soaked for less than 30 minutes. I had the smoker element on for almost 2 hours and this is all the burn I get. I did a pork shoulder last week for almost 12 hours and still had unburned chips even then.

I have tried the vent full open and almost totally closed and get pretty much the same results.

Any assistance would be appreciated. My next step is to call Rival.

I have the same smoker and I've never had a problem with it.Looking at your Qview I would be giving Rival a call.I smoke the amount of time the piece of meat calls for and when I'm done all I ever have in the bottom is a little ash.I think you have a heating element problem.
I always leave my vent wide open.

Stop soaking your chip's, wet chip's don't "smoke"
icon_mrgreen.gif

You mean I have to smoke more meat tomorrow to test this?!?!?!?

The suffering we must endure to perfect the craft.....
icon_razz.gif

I will learn one day not to follow manufacturers instructions.
rolleyes.gif

I smoked some chicken breasts, mixed veggies and an onion for supper today. This time without soaking my chips.

After a 2.5 hour burn......nothing but ash remaining.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help!!!!

Isn't that thing just a glorified turkey roaster?

I a soaker & a toker & a midnite smoker-from what I see your pan ain't over the heat source-I soak and burn dry-all works for me-I tend to like a good soak.just my 2 cents.

Soaking wood chips, chunks, sticks, logs, tree trunks, IS A WASTE OF TIME.
The wood just has to dry out before it will light and produce smoke. It does not make any more smoke or better smoke. In fact, it just doesn't make smoke - until it dries out.
Ever try to build a campfire with wet wood?
The folks who write those mfgrs. instruction booklets are not users of their own product or they wouldn't put that crap in there.
But then, what do I know?
icon_cool.gif

Dan,
This unit does roast turkeys and chickens as well (have done a few chicks already) so I guess you could say it is a glorified smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Mike,
You are so right. I even looked on the bag of chips and it said to soak. You would think that at least they would get it right!!! The faster you burn the chips the more you need to buy.

Couple of things I do like about the K.C is that I can be smoking in 10 minutes once I get the meat ready and then "set it and forget it".

And it is just the wife and I so don't have a need to cook large amounts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky