Dextrose calculations for salami fermentation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I'm working on a formulation for a Salsiccia Napolitana salami. It has quite a bit of pepper powder in it so need to account for the dextrose in the powder as it will contribute to fermentation. Here's my math:

The information provided to me by chef jimmyj chef jimmyj is:

119 grams fresh bell pepper contains 2.3 grams fructose 2.7 grams sucrose.
A fresh bell pepper is 92% water, so 8% solids.

Both sugars are fermentable, but only the fructose can be utilized by all bacteria. The sucrose can be utilized by some fermentation cultures. Fructose is a simple sugar like dextrose so can be interchangeable... SO,,,

2.3 grams fructose/ 9.52 grams pepper powder is...0.2416 grams fructose per gram pepper powder.

This is for bell peppers. This would be a baseline. Some peppers have more or less fructose. Cayenne peppers have higher levels of fermentable sugars....

Last edited:
Another useful calculation, though this one is not 100% precise; but it is in the ballpark and is used to determine the humidity level needed in your chamber.

After addition of 2.5~3% salt to the salami, the Aw (water activity) of the meat is around 0.96Aw.
Upon reaching 30% weight loss, the Aw is around 0.86Aw... so that is a move downward of 0.10 Aw.

So for every 3% loss of water weight, you decrease the Aw by 0.01%.

Since it is optimum to have the humidity track 5~10% below the Aw of the salamis, you can use this to adjust the humidity in your chamber for a more even drying of salamis.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky