Developing a fusion bbq sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denniston

Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Columbia City, IN
Being originally from Michigan, and residing the past 20 years in northern Indiana, I have pretty much grown up on KC style bbq.  Sweet, a little spicy, and red.

Last week I was in the local bbq joint, and decided to try the "Carolina" style sauce. It changed my life.  But to be honest, I really liked that mixed with the their regular (more of a KC style sauce).  So the past couple days, I've been researching and began trying to knock off the restaurant's Carolina style sauce.

The sauce is not thin as water, but quite a bit thinner than the sauces I'm used to.  It's got a great tangy vinegar flavor a nice sweetness with a pleasant heat on the back end.  There are also a few red pepper flakes in the mix.  It's so good, I could about drink it :)  I could probably purchase the sauce, but when it comes to smoking meats, I really want to develop my own recipes. As a basis for the recipe, I found the following recipe here: (http://www.meatwave.com/blog/barbecue-sauce-recipe-north-carolina-vinegar-sauce)
[h4]Ingredients[/h4]
  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Texas Pete's
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
It's way too vinegar-ie, the hot sauce doesn't have the right flavor, it's not sweet enough, and missing the back heat.

I added 2/3 cup ketchup, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. Overall it was a lot better, but still too much vinegar.

Eventually, I'd like to also create a KC style sauce, and mix the two into a type of a fusion sauce :)

I do what you describe with the following two recipes. You might need to add more heat to you liking but these work for me...JJ

This I mix into my Pulled Pork...

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip  add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...

This one everybody adds to the plate or sandwich at the table...

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Your Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

Reactions: denniston
Denniston,

What you're describing reminds me of Maull's barbecue sauce.  It's a St. Louis favorite, IMHO, for over 100 years.  That stuff used to flow through my veins every summer while a kid 50+ years ago.

It's a bit of a thin tomato based mop style sauce with some heat, vinegar, and just a bit of sweetness but not much.

Geez!  Up here in Iowa I miss that stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky