• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dehydrator or smoker???

2Mac

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 30, 2020
Liquid smoke in the marinade and into my Cabelas dehydrator. Never needed to make it any other way. It doesn’t last long.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
I have enjoyed using liquid smoke when I do beef jerky. So much easier.....

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
I used to do (whole meat) jerky in the Big Chief. A chunk of wood and then just plain dry heat until done.
I thought the dehydrator dried the exterior too much and left the interior too moist (even after bagging and resting).
Fast forward after many years not doing jerky.
Last batch was ground venison jerky (whole sheet and not gun strips). I used the pellet pooper with a load of hickory pellets in a tube.
I think that is my new methods. Ground meat and pooper.

I've used Wrights, Figaro, and Colgins liquid smoke. Used to do pulled pork in the oven.
Figaro mesquite and Wrights hickory and apple is my favorites.

grabber

Meat Mopper
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 3, 2009
I'm in with the liquid smoke. 1 tsp per 5lbs of meat. Any more is too strong and tastes bitter. Dehydrator, 5 tray Excalibur served me fine for plenty of years. Piece of advice. Rotate the trays, top to bottom, front to back every 1 1/2 hrs for 6 hrs. at 165. If you don't, you'll get a unevenly finished product. Also, last 1 1/2 hrs., flip them over to better dry out the bottom. Good luck.

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
It's good that way. I just add liquid smoke to the marinade to compensate for the lack of smoke. I can't tell the difference.
Getting some going tomorrow. Thought about trying some in smoker but think just go dehydrator! I got a recipe love the flavor but having trouble getting heat I want. Just does not seem to get in Jerky. Going to do something drastic tomorrow! Same with my pickles, Put whole cut up habanero in each jar but not hot hardly at all.

grabber

Meat Mopper
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 3, 2009
For pickles, I just put in 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, as a start. You can build from there, if you want.

Lorenzoid

Joined Jan 29, 2021
If not for this thread, I doubt it would occurred to me that you could dry jerky in a smoker. I've had a dehydrator for decades, bought specifically because I wanted to make jerky, and I never gave thought to using a smoker. I don't think I've ever eaten smoked jerky. I'm sure it's amazing.

Lonzinomaker

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 8, 2018
Smoker all the way, every time. I like the smoke flavor and I can avoid overcooking the jerky with the right temps. And by the time I get 5-7 lbs of slices skewered and hanging from my racks, I don't want to move them again into an oven or a dehydrator.

Attachments

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.