Dehydrating Fruits for winter.... Dried and beautiful / delish.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Sooo, all summer I been watching the Italian plum tree.... Finally they are ripe.... Bride rinsed and sliced them for the dehydrator... Since Todd's invention of the Q-Matz, my stuff dries faster and has better color than before, when using parchment as a base.... The air flow is much better through the dehydrator....

I still have my SausageMaker D-10 unit.... this thing works better than any I have had previously... consistent texture on the fruits, veggies, herbs, etc...

If you don't have Amazin Products Q-Matz, put them on your want list... great for this job and also in the smoker ( Heat Resistant up to 260°C/500°F while using indirect heat** )... for veggies, wings, sticks, sausage.... stuff don't stick to them.... rinse in warm water and dry.... that's it..... Look for Todd's sales and get some more pellets too... or an AMNPS or AMNTS for your smoking needs.. I have all his stuff.....

These plums/prunes are so much better than store bought... more flavor, better texture.... and in the early morning hours, they can really wake you up.....:yahoo:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=46

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Default.asp

Thanks for lookin'...... Dave

Last edited:
These are really good.... Last year was our first at drying plums.... tomorrow Bride will prep the 2nd and last batch... then vac pack and freeze... they come out of the freezer very good..... better than store bought....

48 hours at 120 deg. F.....

Thanks for looking..... Dave

Last edited:
Color me stupid here, but.......... isn't a dryed plum a prune? And prunes have a very diffinate reputation??

They do look good.

Yes and Yes.... BUTT.... everyone needs good fruit in the winter... :laugh1: ... Just a regular guy u-know....

Last edited:

Color me stupid here, but.......... isn't a dryed plum a prune? And prunes have a very diffinate reputation??

They do look good.
Yes and Yes.... BUTT.... everyone needs good fruit in the winter...
laugh1.gif
... Just a regular guy u-know....
Prunes are tasty, but that’s the number two raisin why people eat them.  
icon_redface.gif

dcarch

Dave,  as long as you vac pack and freeze, they basically last forever, right?

Yep.... forever.... but they don't last that long once I see a pack in the freezer, I pull one out... we should end up with about 10 8 0z. bags... we'll see....

8 0z. bags..... in the 5 x 10" bags from VacuumSealersUnlimited.com , Lisa B..... and the Vacmaster 140 from her also...

very nice.....I bet Foam would make some gooddddddd Cajun Hooch outta them.....more than one way to skin a plum/prune, no?
LOL.... I have a 1/2 gallon on the counter right now. But....... if its going to work like prune juice, I think I could clear out the Betty Ford Clinic. Sure, go ahead drink till you pass out, or dehydrate, sureeeee drink all you want!

I drank last years and that was not the case, it tastes like plum wine and not prune juice! With a better kick!

Remember my Pop fell and broke his leg, and betweeen bed and a wheelchair now the doctor prescribed 'stool softeners'. Being a dumb old country boy I remembered my service days and all those yankee's liked stewed prunes with their oatmeal. Can't hardly find stewed prunes here but a bottle of prune juice showed up. LOL Now that stuff is major powerful! I know Pop appreciated my normal minialistic approach to things. ROFLMAO!  Probably the aids apprceiated it more.......
th_roflmao.gif

Last edited:

LOL.... I have a 1/2 gallon on the counter right now. But....... if its going to work like prune juice, I think I could clear out the Betty Ford Clinic. Sure, go ahead drink till you pass out, or dehydrate, sureeeee drink all you want!

I drank last years and that was not the case, it tastes like plum wine and not prune juice! With a better kick!

Remember my Pop fell and broke his leg, and betweeen bed and a wheelchair now the doctor prescribed 'stool softeners'. Being a dumb old country boy I remembered my service days and all those yankee's liked stewed prunes with their oatmeal. Can't hardly find stewed prunes here but a bottle of prune juice showed up. LOL Now that stuff is major powerful! I know Pop appreciated my normal minialistic approach to things. ROFLMAO!  Probably the aids apprceiated it more.......
th_roflmao.gif

Ouch...not a fun thing to deal with. However, in the spirit of the situation perhaps offer him a toddy at night of prune juice and vodka.....I call it a Piledriver (insert drum rimshot here)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky