Defrosting Pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

howufiga

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I bought a pork shoulder with the intentions of smoking it the next day. Well my wife said she didn't want it so I threw it in the freezer. Now I want to cook it tomorrow. it's been in our fridge an entire day and it's still as hard as a rock! How do some of you defrost your pork shoulders? It's 6.5 lbs

Keep it under running cold water, that will help, although it's not as quick as you may need it to be. Good luck my friend.

Assuming its wrapped watertight (like vacuum sealed), fill the sink with cold water, and drop it in. In the fridge is best, in water is next best if you need it quicker.

It's not vaccum sealed. it's just got the grocery store plastic wrap on it. If I put it in water, it will probably come off after a while. I just didn't know if the shoulder would soak up the water. I'll try using some saran wrap and put it in the sink with cold water.

I should have lowered the fridge temp. It was the only thing in our spare fridge too. I'll do that next time. thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky