Defective Spare Ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Used the 3 2 1 method, Salt and pepper rub toped with brown sugar to seal, pecan shells for smoke, cooked at 225 degrees, home made BBQ sauce and when I went to take them off the grill the bones fell out!

Anyone else have any of these defective ribs?

Its warmer today, maybe next time will try 2 2 1, or 200 degrees cause I saw the temp as high has 240 a couple of time.

I threw the ribs away, no one wants ribs with no bones..............

Used the 3 2 1 method, Salt and pepper rub toped with brown sugar to seal, pecan shells for smoke, cooked at 225 degrees, home made BBQ sauce and when I went to take them off the grill the bones fell out!

Anyone else have any of these defective ribs?

Its warmer today, maybe next time will try 2 2 1, or 200 degrees cause I saw the temp as high has 240 a couple of time.

I threw the ribs away, no one wants ribs with no bones..............
Should have thrown them NorthEast about 1600 miles!!!

I don't eat the bones.

Bear

Last edited:
  Micky D's is looking for those! And I would give them a taste too. What cut of ribs did you use? 3-2-1 is usually for spares and is sometimes too long. 3-2-1/2-2-1 is a guideline. You have to adjust to your smoker and practices. Also, are your therms accurate?

Mike

They were St. Louis trimed. It was all on me. only played with this smoker about a month. and I treated it like an old faith stick burner. Its warmer days, smaller cuts, more whiskey...... sounds like a Tommy T song!

I usually do 4 racks at a time and there is always one rack or so that are fall off the bone tender. This is the way my wife likes them. The rest are what I would consider competition tender with a slight tug.

Experiment with different areas on the grates. I know where my hot spot is for my wifes ribs now, i just had to experiment. otherwise I would make sure your therms are accurate and in the right spot in the smoker.

A lot of people love them that tender, it is subjective for sure.

I'm guessing there was nothing defective about the ribs.

Probably what did you in was the two hours in the foil. IF you don't have an accurate thermometer, the 240° temperature reading could have been a lot higher. Two hours in the foil with liquids and high heat will make them fall apart.

Ribs are a natural product, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are differences from rack to rack, or pig to pig.    I'm had some spares (or other meats, beef, chicken) that were just odd compared to others.   I assume that people are cooking to the actual piece anyways; there shouldn't be any hard-and-fast rules wrt to a particualr outcome.  Too many variables.

Yup i had the same problem the first like 5 times i did ribs. If you foil for 2 hrs they always seem to fall off the bone. Especially if you dont have a good smoker therm that will give you good readings and you could have been cooking at alot higher temps. 

Size matters, smaller racks take less cook time, larger ones more.

Time for everyone to realize that the 3-2-1/2-2-1 foiling method for pork ribs has more variables than cooking time and cooking temp.

Foamheart, welcome. Sorry to hear of your disaster. Here's an alternate way of doing them that never fails me.

I do not wrap my Ribs , they go into the Smoker with the Rub of choice and get 4 soild hrs. at 225*F then I start checking for bend:

Once you get the Rack to bend and crack as this did, then wrap in foil and let set a while to further tenderize . The result will be a good tug and it comes of in a good bite.

I turn these lovely things into individual Riblets to help my neatnik Friends stay clean. I on the other hand grab and Gnaw the things as if I were starving.

It takes % hrs. for Babybacks and 6 hrs. for Spares , be diligent in watching them after the 4th hour, and hold off on the refreshments until the Ribs are done.

Be sure to have fun and as always . . .

Hey, I'm with Stan above and becoming a fan of the 'bend test'. And it usually seems my ribs are done with a 3-1-1. But, it's all subjective to who's eating them. And lately, I've been pulling off the membrane but no other trimming of the ribs, cooking the whole slab as is and just going cave-man on those things. Yeah, I get THAT look from the GF but it's not like I eat that way ALL the time.....just with spares (I think)

yeh, im with OldSchool on this one..ive never wrapped my ribs up until theyre finished.. my family doesnt do the whole "FOTB" shenaniganz...we always have tender tender ribs that give that nice bite to them and pull away from the bone.

I’m with JP61 and Willie. I say I use the 3-2-1 method, but I tend to vary the 2 up and down and that is extremely subjective depending on the ribs, who I am cooking for, day of the week, price of beans, etc ........................... 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I use the 3-2-1 method and wife loves them that way, fall off the bone, I also remove the membrane, but hardly ever trim them.  For a little more tug, try 3-1 1/2-1.  After finding your way  ribs become very easy smoke.  Good luck to you.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky