Deer / Venison Smoked Ham - Cold Cuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glad2hunt

Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
I have read many posts on the web for smoking ham: particulary venison hams. I have seen some good recipes that I KNOW would result in a good tasting venison ham, however... I am wanting a 'fast'/'easy' method of smoking a venison ham (20 hours or less smoking time).

My goal: is to have decent- thin sliced cold cuts. I had a friend who recently had a ham smoked by a butcher... and I cannot imagine that the butcher spent more than 20 hours smoking his ham.. It was tender, and not too dry.

Can you reply with...
1.) Brine time for a full ham
2.) let me know if it is a must to debone before smoking (to keep it from tasting rancid etc).
3.) Smoking temperature
4.) Smoking/cooking time..

I am hoping to find someone that replies and states::: I saw the recipes on the web requiring 40-hours of smoke time...and I just smoked for 10 hours after brine soaking overnight etc. And it turned out fine.... anyone out there like this? I just do not want to ruin a good ham, and I do not want to end up with an overdone roast either!

anything else that you can think would be appreciated.

glad to hunt

lem products has a kit for making deer ham it come with everything you need for making ham needle for injecting the ham a stocking for holding the ham together and brine and cure i think it cost around $17.00 i tried it a year or so ago and it turned out good it was brined for 5 days and hot smoked 225 degrees for about six hours it turned good but i like deer steaks better so i will not make another deer ham i would like to try a whole pork ham someday done by cold smoking i have been thinking of making a ham out of a elk roast just to see how it turns out anyway hope this helps
salmonclubber

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky