Deer Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marty vw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Pella Iowa
I am going to try to make deer jerky for the first time need some help.
Smoker or dehydrator? And what is a good recipe for the marinade? Any help would be great.

I personally like to use my dehaydrator.
I have been making jerky this way for a long time.
this is a secret recipe so dont tell!!!!
this will do about 10# of jerky befoer drying

3 cups worchestershire sauce
3 cups soy sauce
1 cup catsup
2TB granulated Garlic
2TB onion powder
2TB salt
2tsp instacure #1 you can substitute the proper amount of tender quick and eliminate the salt
2TB black pepper and a tsp of jalepeno powder. (the jap powder is optional)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp liquid smoke
mix all the dry ingredient together and mix well
combine into wet ingredients and mix well

I slice my venison partially frozen on my slicer about .25-.38 inch thick with the grain.
put in a tub or bowl and pour marinade over it and mix well
be sure to push it all down into the mixture so it is all covered
refrigerate for 24 hrs or more .
put in dehydrator wet, (do not pat dry first.) and dry until itis dry to the touch and bends like rubber but doesnt crack.
it takes about 9 hours in my unit @145*
if you over dry it a little it will usually moisten up just a bit if you ziploc bag it and refrigerate over night.
heres a few pics of my process
sliced up with the seasonings

in the marinade

in the dehydrator

all done

I have always used a dehydrator in the past but I haven't made any sinces I have been coming here so I would go ahead and try the smoker what do you have to use??? The only thing you could do is mess up some and it will be alttle dried out. But I know you have had some really dry jerky we all have. As far as marinades I have usually got the pre-made one at the store.

Try this one........I'm sure you will like it.

1 lb Venison Strips (cut about 1/8 to 3/8" thick)
1 T Morton's Tender Quick
3/4 C Soy Sauce
1 T Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 t Minced Garlic
1/2 t Grated Ginger
1/2 t Ground Black Pepper
2 T Worcestershire
2 T Molasses (optional)
1 T Liquid Smoke....If using a dehydrator, otherwise eliminate if using a smoker.

Mix all ingredients together with the exception of the Venison strips. Allow the ingredients at least 15 minutes for the flavors to blend. Add Strips. Marinate in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Remove from marinade and dehydrate for approx 5 hours.

If using a smoker: Smoke strips @ 140 degrees for 1-2 hours and then finish in a dehydrator.

Enjoy!

Well I did it in the smoker turned out dang good. I used cookies rub after having them in the marinade all night. Smoked at 150 for about 4 hours.

Thanks for these recipes...may be too late for this season tho i have 1 tag left and muzzleloader season coming up this weekend...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky