Deer Ham Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

white cloud

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 27, 2007
Riley Center MI
As some of you know A friend gave me a hind leg from a doe he had takin just over a week ago. I had dry cured it only 1 week with the correct amount of Tender Quick and an equal amount of Brown Sugar and had injected some of the cure mixture as well dissolved in water. When we were allowed to bait deer we would use apples, corn or carrots. So out of respect for the animal I smoked her with apple wood and corn cobs. LOL. I didn't have any lump left and wanted to get rid of some other stuff I had and had a heck of a time keeping the smoker under 275 I was shooting for 225 so I don't know if it was the charcoal or the corn cobs. It could of cured a bit longer but I is all good ( two kinds of meat ). My fuel ran out at internal 156 and I called it good. I alternated every 1/2 hour with apple spritz and bacon grease slather.

I took a slice off and you can see the cure penetration

VERY Nice
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

WC sure looks good. Was it dry? Everytime I have tried Venison is is always dry but what yo have done doesnt look like it is. I may have to try that this year and a good fat doe would be the perfect pick for it I think.. Again Job well done..
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

It is not dry and very tasty I took a bag over to the guy that gave it to me and he just said man; I think your on to something and that his wife would eat venison like this lol. Perhaps if I did bring the internal up to 165 as planned it may of been dry but it's hard to say. Thanks.

I kinda figgered you were pushing it at a week for the cure, but like ya said, it's all good! Nice job, Lee. Save a little hunk for Sat :{)

Thats what my neighbor liked about it. No gamey taste. It was not sweet or too salty I think it was just perfect and it really does taste like ham.

i made one last year from a ham kit i got from lemproducts.com

came with enough brine to do 2 10lb hams.did one with great results. and will be doing more this season. looked raw after 12 hrs. the cure went right through it in 7 days. yours looks great too. ill be posting some wild venison ones soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky