Deep sea fishing in Galveston pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

low&slow

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 10, 2007
Arlington, TX
I just got back from our yearly deep sea fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico. We go fishing every year when red snapper season opens. My buddies and I charter a boat and go out for 12 hours. I took 95 pics but I wont bore yall with all the sight seeing we did. I just posted some pics of the fish I caught.

Heres 2 spanish mackerels, a shark and my biggest red snapper.

Heres my biggest red snapper again.

Heres some more red snapper and a giant trigger fish.

This is the biggest fish I caught, a 40lb ling.

Heres what one side of the boat looked like on our way back in. Both sides looked like this.

We caught fish from sun up till sun down, non stop action. We all caught our limit on snapper.
We all had such a blast fighting these monsters all day. I've never tried smoking fish, but I think Im gonna give a try now.

those ocean fish look cool ....... i have only ever seen the ocean from a air plane but im planing on going ocean fishing this winter .........i fish for walleye ......that is the fish up here ......

Holy mackeral, nice haul. The fish pic off the side of the boat hanging was a what? And those snapper looked real nice. I would of liked to see the trigger fish behind the snapper a bit better, are they good eatin? Thanks for the pics

When I start harvesting some of the sunfish and bluegills out of my pond here real soon, I will post some pics of that. Plannin a fish fry in about a month.

wc its a cobia or ling depending on where your from

Nice fish Low n Slow

Good God Man! I live on the gulf and have never bothered to go out into the blue water. Got my two boys coming to me this summer, a charter trip sounds like a great way to spend a day! Not to mention the smokes that can come from it!!

Are the fish hanging from the side of the boat more important for advertising than preserving the fish on ice?
eek.gif

Glad you had a great time..I take it your biggin did not win the big fish pot??

My son and I went two years ago.. we had a wonderful time. he had never been fishing before. much less on the water or in a boat.
his 1st fish he ever caught was a black fin tuna he won the big fish pot of $480.00 we stayed over the july 4 hoiday and went on 4 differnt boats. caught a slew of snapper..
you reminded me of the great time we had..

Thanks for the the thread, the pics of your catch were worth it and quickly reminded me how long its been since I've been on a 12 hr. fishing trip!! Got to do it this summer after seeing your catch!

Grilled red snapper is mighty tasty although I'd be curious to know how a lil' piece tastes smoked!

I don't get it.......Big man verses tiny fish...........and trust me I'm a fisherman, (but most of the time I catch and release) but why did you keep and kill the baby shark and the trigger fish?

"Mongo Catch and kill fish. Me big Mongo." Cave wife be happy?

No offense, but once again, you weren't going to eat the shark, (or did you?) so why not toss it back?

I'm a scuba diver, (but not a tree hugger hippie) and yes the whole food chain has a balance.

You will have a blast fishing in the ocean. The fish fight like you wouldnt believe. Ive never had walleye before. Are they good eatin?

Thanks WC. Yea, I shoulda got a close up pic of the trigger. Dont know if they are good eatin, but I'll let ya know in about a week when I cook em up.

Seboke, You gotta journey out there some time. The fish are monsters. A charter trip is the only way to go. It's such a blast. You and your boys would love it. Be sure and take some sea sickness medicine if you've never been on the ocean.

Im definitely gonna try to smoke some of em. I will post some q-view for sure.

Hey mulepackin, We did have a great time. Im glad you liked the pics.

SD, they pack the fish in ice as soon as you haul em in the boat. It was a 4 hour boat ride back into the bay and they didnt hang em there until the last 15 minutes or so. They were frozen solid.

Coyote, we didnt have a big fish pot. I wouldnt have won it anyways. My buddy caught a 62lb grouper. He's still braggin about that one. He called me this morning just to say "I caught the biggest fish...nanner nanner". lol He likes to rub it in.

Oh yea, I love me some grilled snapper, thats the only reason I go is for the snapper. But I'm gonna experiment with my smoker a little too.

Thanks WSR!!

HOM, Im a catch and release kind of guy too. I go fishing 3 or 4 times a week at the lake. I never keep anything. This was a once a year trip to the ocean. I like shark, its good eatin. We threw dozens of shark back. We only kept what the deckhands would let us keep, and they said he was a keeper. And they said my trigger fish was good sized. So I trust what they say since they do it everyday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky