Deep Fried Turkey Recipe???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwsmith_2000

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
I know we're all about smoking and that's the way I've always done my turkeys for Thanksgiving. But This year, I'm seriously thinking about deep frying one. I have some basic "how to" recipes but I'm wondering if some of our SMF family members might have a killer recipe for deep frying one that you would be willing to share. I certainly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Don't bother to inject the bird it'll all run out in a frier. AND don't forget to check the height of the oil before you put the bird in so it doesn't run over and catch your house on fire!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Inject this turkey the night before, thats what we do, after deep frying let it rest and when you carve it you can see the lines of spices all thru it. Just go to the store and pick a flavor you like. Let us know what you decided (w/pics, it's required :))

I like a smaller Turkey for frying 12-14 lbs. Just easier IMHO.
I dont care for Creole seasoning, thats just me, it's strong.
Lower turkey in hot oil SLOWLY, and hold handle with broomstick, one person on each end and stand back, to be safe.
There are alot of sites for doing this, anything you are worried about, just ask this board, they will help you :) Alton Brown's show Good Eats had one for deep frying turkey and it is suppose to repeat again, watch for it, it was good for someone who never fired before.

Injection Sauce

1 - small bottle white Worchester sauce
1 - small bottle Crystal hot sauce
1 - 2 oz bottle onion juice
1 - 2 oz bottle garlic juice
1 - stick of butter
2 - tbs McCormicks (or equiv) creole seasoning
splash of lemon juice

Note: Quantities of creole seasoning and lemon juice are approximate and can be adjusted to taste.

Directions:

Install all ingredients in a sauce pan, heat until butter is melted.

Inject the bird everywhere, then sprinkle Lawry's seasoned salt all over it, inside and out. Let the bird sit in the fridge overnight. I usually put the bird in a large Zip-Loc bag. When you remove the turkey from the bag for frying, touch up the outside with a little more Lawry's.

As far as frying, I allow 3½ minutes per pound, with oil temp at 350º. First, get the oil temp around 375º, then slowly lower the turkey in the oil. The temp will then drop, so try to maintain 350º throughout the cook. That's pretty much it, you can do a 14 pound bird in a little over 45 minutes!

Well I hear to inject and not to inject, I personally inject with Italian Dressing I Strain the dressing but leave as big of pieces as I can in to inject inside my injector has bigger holes then some.. I also have tried White wine but since have omitted it... The other thing I do is rub Cajun seasoning on the outside, This turns Brown and is crispy and tasty....

Also as stated above as you carve the Bird you can see and taste the seasoning of the dressing and it's one of the juiciest turkeys I ever tasted...

Also Spend the money on the peanut oil.. you won't regret it...

I haven't tried a brined turkey yet didn't know about brining until I joined this forum. I wash it out good first then inject it with greole and butter then using paper towels get all the water off it. Then rub it with olive oil and sprinkle tony c's all over it. I do use peanut oil to fry it in it's much better that regular cooking oil.

I just happen to see on Comcast (our cable provider) that you can use the VOD button (video on demand VOD) and see all of the food network show anytime you want to. And for free. But you have to have the digital cable to do this. So if you have Comcast, you're all set.

Hope this helps :)

After smoked turkey legs, deep fried turkey is my favorite!

Two people and a broomstick or longer for a safe insertion is the reccomended way.

Before cooking put the bird in the pot and cover with water, then remove the bird and take note of the water level. This will be close to your oil requirement. (I add a touch more but I have a pretty good sized cooker)

Get a freind or two involved. The cost of the oil is so high that you really need to do about three birds to make it seem cost effective or if you can't find anyone that wants to fry one of their own, fry a couple more for the freezer or do a few more breast, legs or whatever.

Three to five birds is about all you can get out of the oil before it starts to go bad.

I like cajun style and all, but I don't go for all of that powder and injecting and I think that it spoils the oil that much faster. Just a plan brine and fried is pretty darn good.

I will stab or poke the bird with a long knife and then stuff peices of pepper, onion, garlic (Thinking maybe bacon next time) into the knife hole. I like it to come out almost like a turkey "Piemento loaf" when sliced

Personally, I am not a White meat fan. But fried and stuffed as described above makes it a whole different animal!

I have never had any accidents.......But......I hear that there are alot of injuries and house fires because of deep frying turkes. I don't have the "Official list" of safe things to do or watch out for, but I can think of a few that should be and are most likely on that list.

(In caveman speak)
Fire...HOT
Fire make oil HOT
Fire and hot oil burn you
Fire and hot oil make bigger fire
Fire burn house

Ok you get the idea,
Do it away from the house, garage, carport, leaf pile and so on
Wear protective clothing like long trousers and long sleeves, gloves or mits and no open toed shoes.
Use a pot sized to the bird
Keep cold water nearby to treat any burns to yourself
Be prepared to to extinguish grease fires by turning off the fire and smothering with a lid on the pot, a blanket on spills and even a fire extinguisher if things really get out of hand.
Keep kids, pets and drunks away
Make sure that the rig/set up is stable (I suggest as low as possible and not on a table to avoid tippage)
Protect any surface that you do not want grease stained (A sheet of plywood or sheetrock on the drive way can save you some pressure washing time)

And while you have the fryer full of hot oil and the bird is resting a bit, fry up a few pork ribs or boneless country style ribs or even a few hot dogs!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here's something else you can do after cooking the bird(s)...

Deep fry some taters. Chunk them up whatever way you like, lower them into the oil in a basket. When they are done, they "should" float to the top and turn a nice golden brown. When you pull them out, let them drain, then sprinkle them with Lawry's seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper, or some Old Bay. They are awesome!

Also, I use the leftover oil to treat my SFB every time I fire it up. I keep a jug of it next to the smoker.

Dang, Zapper that brings back memories- When I was stationed in Alabama there was a place that offered fried hot dogs. You could get them three ways-barely fried, outside was crispy-hardly any color, Dogs that were fried to a nice golden brown and then the ones that had been in the fryer the longest and was darn near black. It was also the first place that I was served a hotdog that had tomatoes on it that wasn't in ketchup form!

@ Dutch

I saw a show on the idiot box one time about hot dog joints across America. One of the joints (Midwest or Plains I think) had about three different versions of the fried hot dog. As I recall the first state was something to the effect of "in and out" of the grease, the next was a bit more time and the third was cooked until split.

Also as a kid I remember there was guy that "grilled" them as you ordered them. But his grill was about a half inch deep in grease and it only took a minute or so to cook the hot dogs. The skin got to a golden crispy that was delishious!

I have only done it a couple of times myself, like when doing chicken wings. I have had people look at me like I was some kind of freak when I tell them about fried hot dogs, but those that have had them know what a treat they are!

Peanut oil is great for frying primarily because of it's high smoke point, that just means you can heat it to a higher temperature before it starts to smoke/burn. This is important because of the temps you need to get the oil to for frying. The problem here, however, is you need to make DARN sure that none of your guests have any peanut allergies. I use canola oil for this very reason (we do have nut allergies in my family). It has pretty much the same smoke point as peanut oil and there is no problem with anybody eating the turkey .... Just my 2 cents, but either way you'll love the fried turkey.

Yeah, I can't take the chance using peanut oil either... our family has allegies to just about everything it seems! I also use either canola oil or soy bean oil... both work very well.

actually, peanut oil does not cause the allergies, it is the protein in the nut that is the allergen part and that protein is not in the oil.

But I would be afraid to risk it also.

and Zapper, that was some good ideas for deep frying the turkey.

We like to deep fry far back in the backyard and we set up 3 plywood boards hinged together to keep the wind down.

and we will try the potatoes and chicken wings, great idea Hawg!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky