deb's pastrami recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shriv

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
S Dakota
I am looking for Deb's pastrami recipe. I see it talked about as the best. i would like to try it. The links to the post with the recipe don't show it our I am missing something. Does anyone know where to go to get it?
Thanks,
Pat

Hi Crazzy, can you share with the rest of us who have only heard whispers of this delicasy? Appreciated!

I have made it using corned beef, so I skipped the brining process. Debi's recipe is top notch !!! Her it is, she enjoys sharing the recipe.

Debi's Pastrami Recipe

Brine
1 gallon cold water 1 cup kosher salt
2-1/2 tsp prague powder #1
3/4 cup white sugar
6 bay leaves
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp juniper berries
2 tsp black peppercorns

Dry Rub
1/3 cup Butchers Gride COURSE black pepper (not table ground)
1/3 cup juniper berries
1/4 cup coriander

Get a good fresh brisket as lean as you can find and trim off all but abut 1/4" of the fat cap. Should be about 8 – 10 lbs.

Soak in brine for 7 days. Pump/inject meat with brine every few inches at least twice during the brining phase.

Remove from brine and rinse in clear cold water. Pat dry and rub well with dry rub ingredients. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and set in refrigerator for 2 days. If you have a food vacuum sealer that will work well here.

Smoke at 200º with hickory, apple or your favorite wood. Spray every hour or so with apple juice or 50-50 mix of apple juice and white wine.

You only need apply smoke for about 3 hours so after that you can just use heat (no wood chips) or transfer it to your oven for convenience. Wrap in double layers of foil and heat until internal temperature reaches 180º.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky