dead fall/ green wood combo?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltbranch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I am going to use the preburn to coals method.

I have property that I can go cut Mesquite. If I cut a combo of dead fall and green, put that in a burn barrel and burn to coals for the pit, will it work? Dead fall to start fire, green added to top.
Also if I cut green Mesquite(no splitting) and stack, let sit for 6 months, is it dry enough or should I split it?
I know in the fire place at our ranch we start fire with dead fall and have the green cuts on top, then add green wood as you need heat. Can the same principal apply to cooking?
Thx

What would be the dry time whole log vs. split? I have the option of cutting in field, let drop and pick up later. Basically I have access to 1700 acrs in south Tx that is family owned. I can cut now and pick later, only problem is we are heading into the cooler/wet months.

Yall wanna get it up off the ground, I stack on Pallets, that way the air gets round it better. Logs verse split I go out on a limb an say splits will dry upta 50% faster cause ya got more surface exposed ta the air. I cover mine with a cheap tarp ta keep the moisture offin it.

Most a my splits will dry perty decent in bout six months time. Course I pull from the top an work my way down so it just keeps dryin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky