Daytona 500 ribs and turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jojo1580

Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Knoxville, Tn
Can anyone tell me where to place the meat in a vertical smokers. I've ribs on top rack and I've seen ribs on bottom rack. Does it make a difference?

if you're doing a turkey breast as well, i'd put the ribs on top, nothing scientific behind that, just how i do it, if I have something big in there with ribs i'll always put the ribs toward the top, just watch temps and you should be fine either way though. And if you foil your ribs i'd leave them on top and then if you're worried about it you could switch them to the bottom once you foil em..you'll be fine.

FYI - I have seen a lot of discussion here about not putting poultry above any other meats to avoid contamination of the meats below. There are folks that swear by this and folks that don't. Some of them will probably chime in.

I would suggest doing the poultry below the ribs for safety reasons and because I typically do birds at higher heat and I would assume the closer the meat is to the flame the higher the temps would be. Also, the drippings from the ribs would probably flavor the bird nicely. Just my opinions though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky