D J's Boudain Recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeguy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 23, 2008
The Pineywoods of East Texas
TasunkaWitko started a thread about some rub, so I figured I would try one for this. I've added this to my "portfolio" because it's got a great color, a taste that is well rounded, spicy but not too spicy, smokes up wonderfully, and comes back from a frozen state after smoking just as good as the original if you overnight thaw it or do it at 35% power in the nuker - no soggy rice.

I went down to DJ's operations yesterday to try and buy some quantity and get an account going and they said that they have so much demand that they can't fulfill that they will put me on a list, but can't add me as a client yet. Based on the numbers he gave me they would have to increase production 64% to meed demand. Not going to happen anytime soon I don't think!

So, I ordered Rytek's book today. I've seen a couple of recipes for boudain out there but was hoping someone has already tried to "match the hatch" on DJ's in particular. They're out of Beaumont Texas and are relatively local to east TX and some of LA. They are NOT the same as Zummo's which is out there in web-land but is wrong. Although...if you have a Zummo's copy-recipe that might be a big help too since they used to be made by DJ's, but then spun off and are doing their own thing now. But I'm guessing they tried to match DJ's recipe too (I've never tried Zummo's so can't compare the taste).

Or do you have a favorite that would fit the bill you would like to share?

Here is one I have used. This is from Texas Hunters Web-site

Boudin blanc

is French for "white pudding, " and doesn't justly describe these mild and finely textured little sausages.The recipe makes about three pounds\

4 feet medium hog casings

1/2 pound pork fat, cubed
3 large onions, peeled and sliced
1 cup milk
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 pound veal, cubed
1 pound skinless, boneless breast of
chicken
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon fresh white pepper,
finely ground
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
2 eggs

5 egg whites

1 cup heavy cream

1. Prepare the casings.

2. Grind the pork fat through the fine disk. It will help immensely
if the fat is first chilled in the freezer for about half an
hour.
3. Place

half the ground fat in a skillet and melt it down slowly

over medium low heat. At no time should the pan smoke or the

fat darken.
4. Add the onions to the rendered fat and cook slowly in a
covered skillet for fifteen to twenty minutes, or until the onions
are translucent.
5. In another pan bring the one cup of milk to a boil and add the
bread crumbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture
thickens enough to stick to the spoon when the spoon is inverted.
Don't let the mixture burn!
6. Grind the veal and chicken together through the fine disk.
7. Combine and mix thoroughly the onions, remaining fat, veal
and chicken, nutmeg, allspice, pepper, salt, parsley, and chives.
Grind this mixture through the fine disk.
8. In a food processor or with an electric mixer blend the mixture
until it is thoroughly mixed. Continue beating or mixing and
add the whole eggs and then the

egg whites. Beat a couple of

minutes more and then blend in the bread crumb mixture.

9. Continue beating and add the cream, a little at a time, until
it is all mixed in.
10. Stuff the mixture into the casings and twist off into four- or
five-inch links. Refrigerate, covered, for one or two days.
11. ***** the casings with a needle and place them in a large
pot or kettle. Cover them with a mixture of half milk and half
water. Bring the liquid to a simmer and continue to simmer

very gently for about half an hour.

12. Cool and refrigerate for up to three days. Cook by grilling or frying until just heated through.

My post on boudin is missing. Love the stuff. If you don't find what you're looking for PM me and I'll get you a good recipe

i don't expect anyone to try this, but here's a tidbit from the lewis and clark journals regarding sakagawea's husband, toussaint charbonneau:

-----------

captain lewis writes at length about toussaint charbonneau's famous white pudding sausage:

may 9th, 1805

from the [buffalo] cow i killed we saved the necessary materials for making what our wrighthand cook charbono calls the boudin blanc, and immediately set him about preparing them for supper; this white pudding we all esteem one if the greatest delacacies of the forrest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

about 6 feet of the lower extremity of the large gut of the buffaloe is the first mosel that the cook makes love to, this he holds fast at one end with the right hand, while with the foreringer and thumb of the left he gently compresses it, and discarrges what he says is not good to eat, but of which in the squel we get a moderate portion; the mustle lying underneath the shoulder blade next to the back and fillets are next saught, these are needed up very fine with a good portion of kidney suit [suet]; to this composition is then added a just proportion of pepper and salt and a small quantity of flour; thus far advanced, our skillful opporater charbono siezes his recepticle, which has never once touched the water, for that would intirely destroy the regular order of the whole procedure; you will not forget that the side you now see is that covered with a good coat of fat provided the animal be in good order; the operator sceizes the recepticle i say, and tying it fast at one end turns it inward and begins now with repeated evolutions of the hand and arm, and a brisk motion of the finger and thumb to put in what he says is bon pour manger....all is compleatly filled with something good to eat, it is then tied at the other end....it is then baptised in the missouri with two dips and a flirt, and bobbed into the kettle; from whence after it be well boiled is taken and fryed with bears bears oil until it becomes brown, when it is ready to esswage the pangs of a keen appetite, or such as travelers in the wilderness are seldom at a loss for."

- meriweather lewis

Expect anyone to try it? I don't even know what the heck he's talking about? LOL

And why was that young man making love to the innards of a buffalo
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Crock- thanks for recipe. Looks like it would be great for home use but the fact that it uses eggs sort of scares me a bit. You can never tell how someone is going to heat things up, or not, or leave it on the counter, or even in the fridge too long, so I try and stay away from things that have short shelf lives.

Werd- thanks, I'll do that.

Cajun- yours was one of them I had looked at before and was going to try. Glad you still like it and still think it's a winner! Have you ever tried DJ's before to compare with?

Never tried DJ's. Will have to look for it. So many local places make it fresh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky