cutting up a hog video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Found this on Google video, shows pretty well how to cut up a hog, where the major parts come from. He cut the ham off the loin a little high, leaving too much loin on the ham, but other than that it's pretty accurate. You further process the shoulder, taking the backbone off, cutting it in half separating the butt and shoulder, etc.

here's another also that is good:

Thanks pops, Not being a hunter I don't know how or what it looks like to bone a pig out. Now I have learned some more. Just goes to show you if you stay here you will still learn more and more stuff about our fine craft.

Great links guys. I just watched 12-15 video's on butchering a pig and helped me out a lot. I wish I knew more about butchering and the different cuts of meat and where they come from. I learned a lot and will be watching more of them.

Well that brought back memories from a long time ago!!

WOW, those are some excellent videos, thanks for posting. I can't wait till I kill another hog. I wasted alot of valuable meat off the last one we killed. I certainly won't be wasting much of anything from now on. really great videos, thanks again

Pops, that was MOST educational.  Until now I didn't know the difference between Spare, Baby Back and Country style ribs, let alone where Ham hocks come from!  That should be required watching for anyone working pork on a smoker!

Very good post; thanks for sharing,

Larry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky