• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

cutting up a hog video

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Found this on Google video, shows pretty well how to cut up a hog, where the major parts come from. He cut the ham off the loin a little high, leaving too much loin on the ham, but other than that it's pretty accurate. You further process the shoulder, taking the backbone off, cutting it in half separating the butt and shoulder, etc.

here's another also that is good:

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Great site! Thanks!

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009
Thanks pops, Not being a hunter I don't know how or what it looks like to bone a pig out. Now I have learned some more. Just goes to show you if you stay here you will still learn more and more stuff about our fine craft.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Great links guys. I just watched 12-15 video's on butchering a pig and helped me out a lot. I wish I knew more about butchering and the different cuts of meat and where they come from. I learned a lot and will be watching more of them.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Well that brought back memories from a long time ago!!

fftwarren

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 26, 2010
WOW, those are some excellent videos, thanks for posting. I can't wait till I kill another hog. I wasted alot of valuable meat off the last one we killed. I certainly won't be wasting much of anything from now on. really great videos, thanks again

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2010
Wow I did not know there were videos like that,thanks

lmci

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Pops, that was MOST educational.  Until now I didn't know the difference between Spare, Baby Back and Country style ribs, let alone where Ham hocks come from!  That should be required watching for anyone working pork on a smoker!

Very good post; thanks for sharing,

Larry

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.