cutting ribs?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by njsmoker83, Jun 24, 2010.

1. to fit more ribs on my smoker, would it do anything bad if i cut the BB's in half so i can fit them better?

2. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have done it many times and have not seen any change in the finished product - just make sure the cut ends get some rub

3. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

You'll be fine. I've never noticed a difference.

4. perfect i want to load the WSM with a few racks

5. old poi dog

old poi dog Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Don't forget Q-views [​IMG]

6. have a wedding on sat so hopefully i can do it sunday

7. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

No need to cut them just stand them on end in a circle and pin the two ends together with a skewer instead. Kind of like a crown roast.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. dasmoker

dasmoker Smoke Blower

Or you can get a couple of rib racks that hold them up on their side, then you can fit a ton in there.  I personally don't like the racks, but I know others do.

9. do you think cutting them will mess anything up?

10. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

No, not at all.  You can cut them in half width-wise, straight down thru or horizontal-wise, separating the brisket from the rib bones or do them both into 4 pieces.  These I cut in half lengthwise then after they were done separated the briskets from the ribs:

Smoked them in halves:

[​IMG]

Then cut the briskets off:

[​IMG]

I reserve the ribs for the family as they like those and munch down on the briskets myself![​IMG]

11. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

No, I was just trying to give you an altenative to cutting them to fit. I have cut them myself in the past-

[​IMG]

12. i dont believe you guys, can you send those ribs to me so i can try them [​IMG]