cutting a propain tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chevyjared

Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
hi everyone

building a side fire box, and at a point of building the fire box.
ive decided to use a large 7 gallon propain tank.
What would be the easyest way to cut it, without using a torch/dont have one. any and all ideas would be great.

thanks

jared

You can always get yourself an angled grinder and slap a cutting wheel on it. It'll take some time but it will work. This is, of course, assuming you have removed the valve and ensure all propane is gone from the tank!
icon_wink.gif

Agree you could use an angle grinder. gonna take some time though.

As for the tank vent it and wash it out several times with dawn detergent and water before cutting.. No sence in meeting your maker durring this project..

Please make sure that you get the valve off and remove all the propane. I know it sounds dumb but I wouldn't want to hear something bad later. But I would also go with the grinding wheel.

You could go to a fab shop and have them cut it with a plasma cutter. Or a body shop might have one. If you draw the lines it would take two minutes tops .Or as other have mentioned a cutting wheel will work fine.

awesome guys will try to get that thing open, hope it dosnt take to long.

thanks everyone

jared

If you have a worm gear circular saw, they make a steel cutting blade for it. It costs about $40 to $50 but when you cut into the tank there are no sparks. I used one while I was making mine. Best thing since sliced bread and it is super fast to cut. Very clean cuts with no burrs on the bottom side of the cut like you would have if you used a grinder. They carry them at Lowe's, Home Depot, or your local welding supply company.

4in angel grinder with a SS wheel on it i went thru 1/4 in boiler pipe no problem

icon_smile.gif

well cut the tank with the angle grinder and that was cake.
just as fast as a torch

Yeah - with a cut-off wheel those things just eat through steel... plus propane tanks aren't exactly plate steel
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

it was an old school tank and it was not hard at all to remove what was left of the gas. the tank was almost compleatly empty. just relesed the pressure and removed the valve.I rinsed the tank out and started cutting.
it turned out great.

jared

No matter how much Dawn and water I use, it still smells like the stuff they add to propane to make it stink. It's a little unnerving...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky