cutlery?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camp_cookie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I'm looking to buy a few pieces of fairly nice cutlery. I want a nice chef's knife and maybe a boning or all-purpose knife as well. What are the good folks here using? Suggestions?

I know that Henckel and Wusthof are two of the big names, but they also have a big price. I read a few reviews of Forschner that seemed good.

I have Henc and Wust stuff, but have seen some of the Forschner line. Have considered trying it out...looks good.

The Henkel And Wusthof are unquestionbly the best in my mind, and I HATE lousy knives.

Get a good sharpener and hone too. Keep 'em like razors and when you DO whack yerself, it heals quicker ;{)

A dull knife is a dangerous one!

Alton Brown had a pretty good show on some time ago about knife sharpening. While I didn't agree with everything he mentioned, one thing I did agree with is that while you get what you pay for with the fine Swiss/German blades, a middle-priced blade that has been custom sharpened is not too far off. I own inexpensive, but well built cutlery from the Pampered Chef. They are the type that have the sharpening stones built in the holder. Not a fan of their sharpening process, I've ripped them out. I use a 3 stone sharpening process that ends up with a polished edge. You can shave with my blades when I get done with them.

Kind of a wordy response for, get the knife that feels good in your hand, has a solid handle, and decent quality steel.

It's also worthy to note, once you get a sharp knife, keep it sharp by being careful what you cut on. Cut on plastic or wood; not tile, glass, granite, etc.

I could not agree more. I don't have the knack to use a whet stone and achive a good edge every time, so I bought a "Chef's Choice, EdgeSelect 120" . It does a very good job and is fast and easy. I have bought several "El cheapo" knives and they do a good job when they are SHARP!!! Hope this helps.
smile.gif

I have the Henckels. Good knives, got a good deal on.
I just recieved the info-mercial knives magic blades(as a gift). The ones they show cutting through the toe of a boot.....
They are very sharp as of now and seem to work great. Time will tell on how long they hold an edge. Will be using these as my everyday knives now and saving the Henckels.

As far as Forschner goes I have had several of their pocket knives and they make a great blade.
Goodluck on your quest for knives.

I thought they made cell phones
icon_biggrin.gif

I personally use Henkels Pro S series. I bought them with airline miles after I stopped my travel job. I've been very happy with them and plan to finish the set at some point. I've got the 7 piece set with a block and I can highly recommend them.

Does Bed, Bath, and Beyond have the knives in stock in their stores, or are they only available online?

Got to a resturant supply store if you have one even remotely near by. Most will let you handle the knives so you know what feels good in your and hand and also can give some good recommendations or at a minimum tell you what the "pros" are buying.

I use primarily F Dick and Berghoff with a couple of other odd balls mixed in. I have been happy with both brands, but would go with the F Dick brand over the Berghoff if I had to choose just one.

Get a good knife block or rack too. Protects the edges and ,more importantly, your fingers. Figured that out the hard way.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
And. I'm told blood rusts steel.

I mainly use henkles 4star knives. Another brand I like is the global brand that is all stainless. Very nice!
If you like the asian knives over the european, shun is a Very nice blade and you can order them left or right handed. I also like bunmei knives. I have a few the really hold an edge well.

The most important thing in buying a blade is finding one that fits your hand. Most of your knives (henkles, wustoff, global) are all pretty much equal in the edge and steel dept. So the best knife is one that has a comfortable handle for your hand.

I have one old carbon knife..Old Hickory I think...chef's... that I have wrapped the handle with a rubber self-sealing electrical waterproofing tape. REALLY helps the hand/wrist out during veggie tray marathons and the like. And the edge on carbon is razorlike...just does not last...ah well..I LIKE sharpening!

One other thing, as you're looking at knives, most brands have several different 'lines' of their brand. Make sure the line that you buy is their quality knives and not the cheap line. Henkels makes an "eversharp" line that I wouldn't use to cut anything and some of their lesser series, while still decent, still aren't that great. The question to ask yourself here is why would this line of knives be 40-60% less than this line of knives (minus sales, promotions, etc). Even though it's the same name brand.

I found a three knife Henckel Pro S set with honing steel at a pretty good price today. The store threw in one of the wooden knife blocks and told me that if I found a store coupon or got one in the mail to bring it in and they would give me back the appropriate amount.

The set includes an 8" chef's knife, a 6" "utility" knife, and a 4" paring knife.

The store was Bed, Bath, and Beyond of all places.

I also checked out some Wusthof and some Furi brand knives and saw some Shun brand. I liked the feel of the Wusthof slightly better than the Henckel, but I was able to get a better deal on the set by going with Henckel. The Furi brand knife felt really nice, but I just didn't want to by a Chinese made product if I could find something that I liked better.

I couldn't find any retailers that had Forschner in stock to try. I may order one online to have when I go take my show on the road.

I have Farberware. I bought mine at my local Wal-Mart, but have seen them at other stores. Here is a thread about knives I remember from earlier this year.

I have a couple pro s henkles. Very solid knives that will hold up for a long time if you take good care of them.

Have purchased quite a bit of cutlery over the years and lately have found; (My wife was/is a consulant so we get price breaks) Pampered Chef cutlery to have a wide selction and have purchased I believe every peice they handle. The steel is made in germany and for the cost we think is of very good quality.

This year they even can out with a deboneing knife, I am hoping for a fillet knife soon.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky