curing wet or dry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mudduck

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
nettleton ms.
i 'l like to know the best way to cures wet or dry

on cb bacon and bb bacon how long to cures
never try curing but i'm uh fixing too
going to uesd TQ
wish me luck
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

For BBB I use a dry cure but then I do add maple syrup and honey but it should still be considered a dry cure. As far as how long to cure it I belive I cured mine for 11 days if I remember right. I think it also depends on how much cure you use. My cure was mixed at 1 TBL per lb of meat. I think some may use more per lb and that is how they cut back on the brine time but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon as I am fairly new to brining myself and I don't want to give you bad advice.

When I do my regular bacon I brine it for about a week. I use 1 cup coarse sea salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup maple syrup(good maple syrup). Per 4 pounds of pork belly. Rub it in, then put it in a glass container. Turn it over everyday or two for a week. Then remove it, rinse it, then I rub in some cracked pepper and smoked paprika. Let it sit for a couple hours until it gets the film on it. Time to smoke it!

Good luck. Hope this helps.

I use a dry cure for my buckboard and canadian bacons. Then I let then set the canadian for a week and the BBB usually about 8-10,12 days or so. To me the longer the better for you will get a deeper flavor on the buckboard.

I posted a very similar question for belly bacon, and got some mixed reviews. Ended up brine curing 15 lbs. and dry curing 5 lbs. with very similar ingredients. We liked both, but all agreed that the dry cured bacon had a better flavor.

All I can figure is that the water must have diluted the flavor in the brine cured bacon. My next batch will be dry cured.

Dry cure some and brine cure some to see which you like better.

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky