Curing sausage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bnew17

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I am new to curing sausage, but not to sausage making. I had a few questions i was hoping i could get some answers to.

I have the book Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman, which i have seen discussed a little bit on this forum. A few sausages that caught my eye are the Salami’s and other cured sausages.

It seems the sausages are hung for days/weeks at an ideal temperature and humidity. My questions regarding this step are: A) what is ideal to use for this? B)how do you control the humidity? Where i live in the South is extremely humid

Bactoferm F-RM 52 is used in the recipes and i have seen it for sale on websites in packets. This description on the Butcher Packer site confuses me “Each 25-gram packet of Bactoferm (TM) F-RM-52 will do 220 pounds (100 kilo) of meat. You can use the whole packet in 100 pounds of meat or use half of the packet and refreeze remaining culture”
Does the entire pack do 100 or 220 pounds?

In the book they outline the recipe for Hungarian Salami and Tuscan Salami. Does anyone have experience with either as far as taste.

I will be using peimarily wild hog but also mixing in pork butt. I have more wild hogs as my disposal than you can imagine.

In section 5, he has the recipes and directions listed... Taste is somewhat dependent on the starter culture you use.. It is derived from bacteria from locales that have distinct "flavor" because of the way they act on the meat....
Yes you can weigh out a proper amount for the weight of the meat... seal... put back in the freezer... wild hog will add it's own unique flavor... probably very close to the salami they made 2-300 years ago...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky