Curing chamber design features

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

harleykids

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I was reading some posts on curing chamber, and most have the vent (exhaust) at the top of the chamber, and the intake at the bottom of the chamber.

I think this is the general consensus.

But when I built my chamber I purposely built the intake at the top of the chamber, and the exhaust at the bottom of the chamber.

My reasoning was that the floor is the dirtiest part of a house or garage, and I didn't want my air being pulled from there, bringing with it any dirt, dust, pet dander, etc. that happened to have settled on the floor.

So my chamber exhausts about 2 feet above the floor using a 12V computer fan mounted in the door of the freezer, with the exhaust vent protected by a hepa-style filter. 

My intake is at the very top of my chamber, also on the door, and is also protected by hepa-style filter.  Both intake and exhaust filters are easily replaceable.  I cut apart a help-style pleated filter and when stretched out it gives me enough material for the 5 years or so, as my vents are 3" circles.

My humidifier is mounted on the door and pumps out plenty of humidity, filling the entire chamber in less than 10 seconds, and the exhaust fan comes on when the humidifier comes on.  At 13 deg C @ 82% RH, my humidifier comes on roughly every 20-25 mins or so, and stays on for probably 1 min.  Freezer comes on probably once every 30 mins and stays on for probably 1 minute.

This chamber is located inside my house, so I never have to deal with fluctuating temp...we run our house at 68-71 degrees all year long.  RH% inside our home changes from season to season, with 35-40% the norm in the winter, and 65%+ in the summer.

Keeping the chamber in my house should be very beneficial, at least on paper.  As long as the temp inside my chamber is lower than the temp inside my home, and the humidity in the chamber is higher than my home I should never need a dehumidifier, light bulb, or any other heat source, etc.  I should be good to go with just humidity and temp control.

One last design idea that I incorporated into my chamber was in keeping everything on the door of the freezer, so that I never had to drill into the actual freezer compartment for any reason.  I am not a big fan of hanging wires, so building everything into the door seemed logical to me.  I have one small commercial juction box on the back of the freezer where that houses the connection between the freezer power cord and the power cable that feeds the freezer door, and the new power cord that plugs into the wall.

Power cable runs through the corner of the foam core, inside the freezer chamber metal skin, to the door, then exits and enters into the freezer door thru a spring strain relief.  Attached a pic below.

I would love to see what everyone's chambers look like, and see what neat ideas you all did in your chambers that I might be able to incorporate into my next chamber!

Just food for thought....

icon_cool.gif

I just set up my chamber the other day. I bought a 30 bottle wine cooler with a compressor and a built in fan. A chef friend of mine that makes super good dry cured meats showed me what he uses. I also have a small humidifier and controller inside the chamber. I also have a small secondary temp and humidity gauge to help with keeping everything in check. Your chamber looks awesome and I was looking at your post of Chorizo Verda and it looks very tasty.

Sounds like a greats chamber!
Keep us posted on what you put into it, and what you take out of it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky