Cured uncooked ham on WSM, UPDATE it's done, sliced & bagged.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Picked up a nice cured, but uncooked 11+lb. ham at Wally World this AM. Can't smoke my pastrami until tomorrow or Saturday, so I was having smoking withdrawals. So I trimmed the ham, put a rub/glaze on it and put her in the WSM. Got it at 215, plan on taking the ham to 148. Using  hickory, oak, & pecan chunks. I put the ham on the bottom rack in a pan & put some of the fat I trimmed off on the top rack so it would self baste the ham. No need to open up the smoker, unless I put a pan of beans on this afternoon. Here's a couple of pics.

bd8d7c2e_3-17-111.jpg

Out of the package.

3be7007f_3-17-112.jpg

Trimmed her up.

514d8793_3-17-113.jpg

Here's the ingredients for the rub/glaze. I didn't really measure anything, just mixed it up till it tasted good. The consistency is about like creamy peanut butter.

c578c8cd_3-17-113.5.jpg

Cross hatched the fat & rubbed her down.

7ed727ca_3-17-114.jpg

Got the WSM ready, I'll put about 7 or 8 lit briquettes on top to get it started.

76047d2a_3-17-115.jpg

Her she is on the bottom rack.

237d9cc8_3-17-117.jpg

Here's the fat trimmings on the top rack. Never did this before, curious to see how it works. Sure beats mopping or spritzing if it works!

2f960c9f_3-17-118.jpg

Stay tuned will update later today.

I'm on my way to the airport to catch a flight. I should be there in about 5hrs. Oh, by the way, I'm sleeping on your sofa tonight so I can be around for the pastrami!!!
drool.gif
yahoo.gif

Looking good Al  - that is going to be tasty for sure 

Looking fine there Al. Waiting for the money shots. Hope the self basting idea works for ya, should make for some decent pork rinds to munch with beer at the very least. Nice looking rub/glaze goo there as well.

AH, a WSM thread.  See those hams all the time but never thought about doing a smoke like you're doing.  Since we're planning on moving over to the dark side of charcoal, we're really interested in the WSM way.  Can't wait to see the money shots and the in-betweens too.

Aww Man!   This is gonna be GREAT !

I probably would have left a little more fat on the ham, but I know, I know, I know---It's no good for you!!!!

However---I do like Willie's idea!

Bear

It took about 5 1/2 hours to get to 148 IT, I pulled it then & left it in the pan with a foil tent over it. The fat on the top grate worked really well at basting the ham. I never opened the lid for the full 5 1/2 hours. Here's a look at the fat on the top rack. You can see it has rendered out almost completely. 

e64a4a25_3-17-119.jpg

I put my cardiologist on speed dial because I couldn't resist trying a couple of pieces of that fat. It was like candy. I had to stop myself at a couple of small pieces, but I could have ate it all. Here's a pic of the ham just before I put the foil on. Notice how much pullback there is on the bones on the right side of the photo. I should have took a better angle so you could see it better.

11e876a6_3-17-1113.jpg

I will take a few slices off in about 1 hour for dinner. Stay tuned for an inside look!

Last edited:
I had to clean all the lick marks off my monitor so i could type this. 
drool.gif
Man that looks incredible Al. Since you are worried about the cardiologist, ya can just box the craclins up with some dry ice and send them my way. I will  take one for the team
biggrin.gif

Nice job man

I had to clean all the lick marks off my monitor so i could type this. 
drool.gif
Man that looks incredible Al. Since you are worried about the cardiologist, ya can just box the craclins up with some dry ice and send them my way. I will  take one for the team
biggrin.gif

Nice job man

I didn't know they had a name, but my God are they good!!!!! I have a few more of them that I didn't put in the smoker & I think I'm gonna put them on top of the pastrami I got curing in the fridge when I smoke it this weekend. How can some pork fat not make my pastrami better?  

Last edited:
Looking real tasty! That was a good idea with the self basting... looks like it worked well. Nice job Al
thumb1.gif

Just sliced a few pieces off . It is very moist & juicy. I would use this method again. There was a lot of grease in the pan, but the ham was not greasy at all and had a wonderful smoked flavor. Here's a shot of it.

fb7cdee0_3-17-1115.jpg

Look at the pullback on the ham bone.

d1948db4_3-17-11-14.jpg

Will have thin sliced pics in the morning after it cools down & we get the slicer out. Thanks for looking guys!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky