Cured, smoked deer hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did a test with a mason jar with a 1 1/2" of water and a temp sensor in it. It took 3 days but here it is. So I need to be on 3 1/2 or 4? I guess 1 and 2 are too warm, but don't they dryout and cure sausages at 50°?

1 - 45°
2 - 43°
3 - 41°
4 - 39°
5 - 37°
6 -34°

I would go with about 4 1/2--4 3/4,--5 which if accurate should be about 37° to 38°.
But if you can't leave the jar in, I would check it now & then, because even if your Fridge setting doesn't move, the Temp can move. Hard to believe, but I've seen mine do it. I've seen it wander up to 39°, and I had to tap it to get it back to between 37° and 38°. 39° would be fine, but I figure if it can stray to 39° it can go higher.

That curing above 40° "50°" is a different thing altogether---Using Cure #2 for longer drying & curing. Don't confuse that with what you're doing here.

Bear

Reactions: archeryrob
Bear where can I find your curing recipe? I have never done this but have always had some interest.

It depends on what you want to cure.
Below are some of Dried Beef from Beef, and some of Dried Beef from Venison:
Smoked Dried Beef #1
Smoked Dried Beef
Dried Beef (Best Ever)
Smoked Venison Dried Beef
Venison Backstrap Dried Beef
Venison Backstrap Dried Beef #2

And if you want to see how I do Bacon, Buckboard Bacon, or Canadian Bacon, just go to the bottom of this or any one of my posts, and click on:

"Bear's Step by Steps".

All of the Cured meats are in the first list on that Index.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky