Cured kielbasa?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
My local butcher makes us a smoked sausage with our deer meat that is very good but his prices are starting to get very high. I asked him if he will sell me some of his seasoning mix but he won't. He did say that he makes it him self and it's very simple and mentioned black pepper and paprika.

Looking through ryteks book I only found 2 recipes that call for paprika. I found a recipe for semi-dry cured kielbasa that is very simple and contains black Pepper, paprika, garlic, dextrose , corn syrup solids and insta cure.

I know that in the sausage I have made it has that "tang" to it so I'm pretty sure the dextrose is used but what is corn syrup solids for? And can something else be used in place of it?

Woodcutter what smoking method did you use? I read on another post that you only smoke for about 4hrs at higher temps then most do. Is this how you did these?

Woodcutter what smoking method did you use? I read on another post that you only smoke for about 4hrs at higher temps then most do. Is this how you did these?
I think these took 8-9 hours. I start the smoker at the same time as the sausage get hung on a low heat setting. Then when the sausage IT gets to 15-20 degrees from the smoker temp I start to bump the smoker temp about 10 degrees at a time and keep doing that until the smoker temp is 170. At 170 I hold and wait until the sausage is 152 and bring it in to bloom. On larger sausage like summer sausage I give it an ice bath to stop the cooking because of the extra mass.

Last edited:
I do 3 lbs venison, 2lbs pork shoulder.

8 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp pink salt

4 teaspoons white pepper (ground)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

3 teaspoons dry mustard

Mix all, start the bind.  vacuum pack over night to 3 days. 

stuff in hog casings

Hang over night to dry

Smoke for 8 hours (cherry, birch, apple, maple) at below 40

Bring temp up slowly to 150 IT.

takes 8 hours or so. 

Just finished 20lbs.  added 3 tblsp of majoram to 5lbs on two packages.

I think these took 8-9 hours. I start the smoker at the same time as the sausage get hung on a low heat setting. Then when the sausage IT gets to 15-20 degrees from the smoker temp I start to bump the smoker temp about 10 degrees at a time and keep doing that until the smoker temp is 170. At 170 I hold and wait until the sausage is 152 and bring it in to bloom. On larger sausage like summer sausage I give it an ice bath to stop the cooking because of the extra mass.

Lol sorry man the other post i read was from woodsmoker not (you) woodcutter. 8-9 hrs ain't to bad just not sure i wanna go the 12-18 hours that some people talk about.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky