Cured Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I have been so happy with the results using Pop's brine on brisket and pork butt I am thinking about trying a chicken. Not sure how long to cure it or if I should inject?

i've used it with boneless breast, if I remember right I soaked for 3 days probably 2 days would of been fine, what type of chicken did you plan on brining. I don't think you need to brine chicken for much longer then 3 days, injecting won't hurt but I don't think it's necessary, but that's my opinion.

If you're talking regular brining I usually go with overnight for poultry.Or overday,depends on when I'm cooking I guess!

If you mean curing that's something I have no experience with.

Inject and submerge for 3 days,no longer,or poultry meat gets funky.Some cure less as to make it less hammy.I suggest using his LS brine.You can add STPP at 0.3 % if you have it on hand to make it super juicy.

Last edited:
Inject and submerge for 3 days,no longer,or poultry meat gets funky.Some cure less as to make it less hammy.I suggest using his LS brine.You can add STPP at 3 % if you have it on hand to make it super juicy.

Motocrash, afternoon... Are you sure about that % ??? For meats, 0.3 - 0.5% is the correct amount for injection....

h886E1CE2

Reactions: motocrash
Thanks for replies. I have been wanting to try STPP. Ordered from Craft Butcher Pantry. Is that .3% of total brine?

Last edited:
Sure Dave.
Please give Brian the formula for injection and equilibrium as I cannot be trusted typing decimal points.

Thanks for replies. I have been wanting to try STPP. Ordered from Craft Butcher Pantry. Is that .3% of total brine?

Brian, morning... May I suggest... To save money and materials, inject everything directly into the meat and skip the brine bucket... AND it speeds up the process, because everything is in the meat already..

Weigh the meat... weigh out water/stock at 10% the weight of the meat....
Weigh out salt, sugar, cure per normal using the weight of the meat... don't add the water weight when weight out ingredients...
I inject every 1.5" in all directions.. Taking care around bones and joints.. I also use Vegetable stock.. Adds awesome flavor like veggies do when roasting meats..

For those of you wanting to try this injection method in place of brining in a bucket, here's what I do....

In the order recommended by a reputable source, to the water carrier for the ingredients.. picnics weighed ~ 10#'s.... 4500 ish grams....

Weights are per 500 cc / ham
1st.. Amesphos............ 18 grams ~0.4% (0.3-0.5% recommended)
2nd.. Sugar, white ....... 45 grams ~1%
3rd.. Salt, pickling ...... 90 grams ~2%
4th.. Cure #1.............. . 11 grams ~153 Ppm nitrite ( edit .. OR 2 tsp for 10#'s)

A question arose, on my previous thread, about the exclusion of using "total" weight for the calculations....

My explanation .... Since I'm adding the individual ingredients to the meat product, and since the water will "mostly if not totally" evaporate, I don't calculate the water weight into the formula...
Zip bag the meat and in the refer it goes for at least 3 days... Takes time for the ingredients to mingle with the meat and get evenly distributed.. I turn the bagged meat daily..

Brian, morning... May I suggest... To save money and materials, inject everything directly into the meat and skip the brine bucket... AND it speeds up the process, because everything is in the meat already..

Weigh the meat... weigh out water/stock at 10% the weight of the meat....
Weigh out salt, sugar, cure per normal using the weight of the meat... don't add the water weight when weight out ingredients...
I inject every 1.5" in all directions.. Taking care around bones and joints.. I also use Vegetable stock.. Adds awesome flavor like veggies do when roasting meats..

For those of you wanting to try this injection method in place of brining in a bucket, here's what I do....

In the order recommended by a reputable source, to the water carrier for the ingredients.. picnics weighed ~ 10#'s.... 4500 ish grams....

Weights are per 500 cc / ham
1st.. Amesphos............ 18 grams ~0.4% (0.3-0.5% recommended)
2nd.. Sugar, white ....... 45 grams ~1%
3rd.. Salt, pickling ...... 90 grams ~2%
4th.. Cure #1.............. . 11 grams ~153 Ppm nitrite ( edit .. OR 2 tsp for 10#'s)

A question arose, on my previous thread, about the exclusion of using "total" weight for the calculations....

My explanation .... Since I'm adding the individual ingredients to the meat product, and since the water will "mostly if not totally" evaporate, I don't calculate the water weight into the formula...
Zip bag the meat and in the refer it goes for at least 3 days... Takes time for the ingredients to mingle with the meat and get evenly distributed.. I turn the bagged meat daily..

I got a new meat injector today and STPP will be here tomorrow. Are those percentages good for chicken also? I also want to learn more about just adding flavor from injecting also. Tried finding some youtube videos but not finding much good.

I got a new meat injector today and STPP will be here tomorrow. Are those percentages good for chicken also? I also want to learn more about just adding flavor from injecting also. Tried finding some youtube videos but not finding much good.
I know that question is for Dave . I've used it on chicken . I learned it from him . I've also used it on pork loin .
You can use it without the cure to add flavor , works great .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky