cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morissak

Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Washington State
just mixed up a batch of sausage and realized after the smoking began that I didn't add enough cure

Will the sausage be a total loss?

or can I cook them in the oven?

or??

Any suggestions?

just mixed up a batch of sausage and realized after the smoking began that I didn't add enough cure

Will the sausage be a total loss?

or can I cook them in the oven?

or??

Any suggestions?
More info is needed. Start with what the recipe that you made has with weight. What temp is the smoker? Are you cold smoking? 

You can fully cook and get it above 140° and no matter what you used you will be safe.

I see this is your first post. When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so everyone can give you a proper SMF welcome?

Happy smoken.

David

yes more info, my guy was so freaked out I looke dyou up early this morning and said I would ask

16 lbs deer, 4 lbs pork only put cure for 10lbs of sausage

smoked for 3 hours at 130

cooked for 7 hours at 175

1 in casings came to 140

some had cheese and jalapeños

yes more info, my guy was so freaked out I looke dyou up early this morning and said I would ask

16 lbs deer, 4 lbs pork only put cure for 10lbs of sausage

smoked for 3 hours at 130

cooked for 7 hours at 175

1 in casings came to 140

some had cheese and jalapeños
You're still missing crucial info to answer your question. How much cure was added and what kind of cure? Does this mean you put the proper amount of cure for only 10 lbs of meat into 20 lbs of meat?

I am not a cure expert. However I am thinking some bad thing could have grown in that amount of time with that little bit of cure. The correct rate for cure 1 is 1/4 tsp per pound so you used enough for 8 pounds of meat. I am not sure what the minimum PPM is. 

Happy smoken.

David

I am not a cure expert. However I am thinking some bad thing could have grown in that amount of time with that little bit of cure. The correct rate for cure 1 is 1/4 tsp per pound so you used enough for 8 pounds of meat. I am not sure what the minimum PPM is. 
Happy smoken.
David

I agree, potential pathogen heaven with what he had going on.

The correct PPM for cure to meat is 156 PPM. To meet this requirement, you need to add just over 1 gram (1.1g) of cure #1 to each pound of meat. This is for cure #1! Morton products are very different, if using them.

I tell EVERYONE that wants to get into sausage making, that they need 2 things; a GOOD scale that measures in grams, and a GOOD scale that measures in pounds/kilograms. One for the meat, the other for spices.

Making homemade sausage is great, just watch the cure, temps, and hygiene....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky