cure misshap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawyer

Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Morning all!!

Quick question, I started a capicola a few days ago of wich i was going to smoke. I fallowed my recepie wich is a wet brine using insta cure #1. The next day i realized i made a mistake and it should have ben the dried aged capicola. i pulled it from the brine wich had ben about 12 hours and soaked it in cold water then treated it as i would the dried version using insta cure #2 it will cure about 18 days. can anyone give me a reason why this quick switch may not be ok? i dont want to kill anyone.

You should be fine..... Do you have the "original" weight of the hunk of meat before you submerged it in liquid.... That is important for % weight loss..... The original brine did not harm other than moisture.... unless we are missing some important information....

yep it was 4.5 # . i figured it would be fine. no contamanation. i will watch it closly just as a precaution. thanks dave!

My compliments Sawyer, you figured it out at the right time!

The Nitrate in cure# 2 will help for long storage.

In Italy they call it Capicola or Capicollo; they keep that thing for a couple of weeks in the fermentation chamber at [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]15ºC -18ºC (60 - 65ºF) 70% RH until it looses about 35 to 45% of it's weight.

Then they let it ripening for about 2 month (or much mere) in a simple cellar or cave at [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]10 - 12ºC   (50 - 54ºF)    65 - 75%RH.

If you ever walked in a  cave full with Salamis, Capicola, Coppa and mountain cured ham, you will be addicted for the rest of your life!

Just to let you know - in the mountain parts (alps) of Italy, they also smoke the Capicola lightly to avoid any mold (the good ones and the bad ones...).

Let me know how this turns out - happy curing and great eating.

Pongo

thanks fir the info pongo!. i dont have any chambers for fermenting or drying so im limited to my walkin cooler @ about 40f.I have a friend who does bacon and pancetta in the walkin. he hangs them to dry for a few weeks and they seem to be fine. He isnt aging anything tho, just drying. I figure it will take longer at cooler temp but i will pay attention to the weight loss. Shooting for at least 35%.

thanks fir the info pongo!. i dont have any chambers for fermenting or drying so im limited to my walkin cooler @ about 40f.I have a friend who does bacon and pancetta in the walkin. he hangs them to dry for a few weeks and they seem to be fine. He isnt aging anything tho, just drying. I figure it will take longer at cooler temp but i will pay attention to the weight loss. Shooting for at least 35%.

Sawyer, morning.... You should really find a warmer spot for the meat to hang.... If you read up on cure #2, you will find the sodium nitrate needs certain bacteria to convert from nitrate to nitrite... and temps below 40 deg. F don't promote the growth of bacteria.... therefore, the nitrate is just sitting there, doing nothing......

That process may seem to go against conventional wisdom, but, that is how and why, in the middle ages, folks were able to cure meat in certain areas of Europe.... the right humidity and temperature along with naturally occurring salt that had nitrates in it.....

Anywho.... that would be the "accepted" method of "dry curing and aging" of meats..... Your method, or your friends method may work, but I have reservations and try to strictly adhere to "accepted and proven practices" when processing meats.....

PONGO has given a very respectable recipe and good advice.......

I would be remiss if I didn't comment on your recipe.... Not trying to be a "wet blanket" just trying to keep stuff on the safe side......

Dave

Last edited:
  thanks to you both. looks like i have just about a week before i have to start fermenting and drying. i will look into a small cooler that i can adjust the temp on.

Saywer.....you really should look into some form of humidity control also....it's critical to control the rate of drying. Your average fridge/cooler (especially frost free) runs very low RH....which will lead to case hardening and the potential for internal contamination. If you want to do dry cured meats, my opinion (which are like arse holes cause everyone's got one) is to set up a chamber. If your buying the fridge & temp controller you may as well get an ultrasonic humidifier, humidistat and heat source and be done with it. Then you're all set to make any salumi. FWIW

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky