Cure for sausage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
you could always add liquid smoke to the mix, stuff and freeze, thaw and cook anyway you want. Bam, fresh smoke added sausages.
And it's really not a sin to use Liquid smoke :)

Reactions: boykjo
Agreed!!!!!
you could always add liquid smoke to the mix, stuff and freeze, thaw and cook anyway you want. Bam, fresh smoke added sausages.
And it's really not a sin to use Liquid smoke :)

Also what your talking about doing here is called fresh sausage, when making fresh sausage there is no need for a cure. When time to cook your fresh sausage cook it like you would any other meat product.

I have to disagree. I am pretty sure If your product will be warmer than 40F (during smoking), Cure #1 is necessary for food safety purposes. The exception being if your product is fully cooked to it's required minimum internal temperature (depending on the meat being used) within 4 hours. Contrary to what a previous poster mentioned, your IT should be higher than 140F. (An IT above the high limit of the "danger zone" does not constitute what is considered to be fully cooked.

I have to disagree. I am pretty sure If your product will be warmer than 40F (during smoking), Cure #1 is necessary for food safety purposes. The exception being if your product is fully cooked to it's required minimum internal temperature (depending on the meat being used) within 4 hours. Contrary to what a previous poster mentioned, your IT should be higher than 140F. (An IT above the high limit of the "danger zone" does not constitute what is considered to be fully cooked.

Not sure what your even talking about on this older thread? From what I can tell I was answering a question about fresh sausage and cooking it. Don't even think there was an mention of smoking the sausage in his question or my answer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky