Cure for cold smoked bacon - Cure #1 or #2?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gracebeey

Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm a new poster but have been reading these forums for a while now. I've been making bacon (dry cure base) for a few years, always hot smoked.

Last month I finally decided to get myself the AMAZEN pellet cold smoke generator and it's been awesome with cold smoked salmon, cheese, and almonds.

I would now like to make cold smoked bacon - with dry cure. I've read somewhere that to make cold smoked bacon you need to use Cure #2. However most cold smoked bacon recipes I've seen in this forum use Cure #1.

I'm now a little confused on whether I should just use my normal dry cure recipe that I use for my hot smoked bacon (with Cure #1) or try using Cure #2. If using Cure #2, I assume I'll need a different recipe. Is there a good basic recipe I can use?

Apologies in advance if there's already a discussion on this. I've tried searching but i can't find this specific discussion.

Your advice and opinion is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Grace

Hi Grace,

For bacon you always use cure #1.

It doesn't matter whether you are hot or cold smoking it.

Cure #2 is for long term dry curing, as in pepperoni or salami.

Al

Ah thank you for clarifying that Al, that's great to know. I'll just use my standard bacon cure recipe with Cure #1 in that case.

Now what am I going to do with all this Cure #2 that I've bought??:P

Ah thank you for clarifying that Al, that's great to know. I'll just use my standard bacon cure recipe with Cure #1 in that case.

Now what am I going to do with all this Cure #2 that I've bought??:P
Salamis, dry cured whole muscle (capicola, bresaola, pancetta)

Read up on all dry cured projects on SMF and you will think you don't have enough cure#2 to try them all :-)

Last edited:
Mmmm great idea! :) I'll look them up! Seems that I'll be doubling my production after all...

Thanks all for the inputs :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky