Cure Distrubition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bentley

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
South Carolina
Could someone share how they distribute cure#1 evenly over a large piece of meat.  One teaspoon over a 5 pound pork belly, both sides and edges, seems a bit impossible.  Could I dilute the cure in a small amount water then brush on?  If mixed with other spices; my experience is all of the spices never stick to the meat. The spices aren't as critical and the cure. Am I being to paranoid about this. 

Yes you can dilute it a bit in liquid, but honestly I don't. I mix the cure with my run and spread evenly. Then I put the belly into a plastic zip lock. Liquid will form so daily massage the meat in the bag and flip over. This will ensure the cure gets evenly distributed into the meat. Since it sounds like you are dry curing make sure to weigh the meat and the cure to get the accurate amounts. I recommend using Digging dog farms cure calculator.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/236348/rubbed-the-belly-its-bacon-time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky