Crunchy Skin on smoked turkey or chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmger14

Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Can't you just take it out of the smoker and put it in a oven preheated to high broil for about 5 minutes? My kids LOVE crunchy skin, as do my wife and yes, me too. It would be great to have the best of both worlds, flavor of smoked meat, but crunchy skin as well. Advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If you smoke it at 300-325 you will get a moist bird and crispy skin.

The secret is to brine it first.

We smoke @ 275*-300*, usually do splits, and we always get crispy skin.

It would also be easy to fire up a gas or charcoal grill and give it a quick crisp if it turned out too rubbery.

Thanks! You guys are incredible. I had four responses in a matter of a few minutes. The response of moist bird/crispy skin is fine, as I am looking to accomplish just that.

If you have a smoker that won't get that hot, try rubbing the bird with mayo before you put the rub on. The egg in the mayo will crisp up the skin without adding any twang. (not a very noticable twang anyway)

Recently I smoked a whole chicken at 275-300, post brine, and the skin was still a little rubbery then what I wanted. then new years eve I smoked ribs and another whole chicken, and willing to sacrifice the bird for the ribs, I aimed for a smoker temp of 225. I spatchcocked the bird (cutting out its neck/back prior to smoking) and removed the bird when it was at 165 or so. then, b/c I'd spatched it, i grilled it on a med-hi grill to crisp up the skin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky