Cross Rib Pot Roast - Please Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rayf01

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hi everyone.

I am relatively new to smoking. I have done a few batches of beef jerky, a pork tenderloin and some chicken wings. So far everything has turned out good.

I am supposed to smoke a Cross Rib Pot Roast tomorrow for a gathering. Its a small roast, about 3 pounds. I have no clue where to start, what a good rub recipe is, how long to actually smoke it with wood vs just using heat, or even how long it will take. I need to time it appropriately so its ready for supper.

I use a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker and I have apple wood and maple chips right now.

Could you guys give me some advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Probably medium rare to medium? Usually my family has always done them in the oven or slow cooker and there is rarely any red left. I'd like to try do it with some pink left at least, nice and juicy.

I found this website describing what that cut of beef I have is I believe:

http://www.themeatsource.com/crossribroast.html

I also put this in the wrong forum. Could an admin move it up to the parent forum?

I'd smoke it like a chuck roast. Bascially, it's a pot roast that fairs better with moist cooking for a long time so connective tissue can break down and become tender. This cut will go tough on you in a nano second if you're not careful & under cooking is just as bad. I'd follow Bearcarvers chucky tutorial since you're using a MES. I've used this method on a chuck roast with good results. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/99125/chuckie-step-by-step-with-qview

The cross rib which sits just below the blade on the chuck and above the brisket is a leaner cut than the blade but still very flavorful and many prefer the cross rib over the blade when cooking a chuck roast recipe. The chuck muscles are heavily exercised and contain a lot of connective tissue and must be slow cooked at a low heat. A shoulder roast will be tough, stringy and very dry if not cooked with liquid.

OK so it looks like its more of a pulled then a slice? that's cool, I'll give it a go. Looks like it will be in the smoker for quite some time too so we'll see. If it ends up finishing early, any tips on how to keep it fresh until supper time?

Also, I don't have an "A-MAZE-N-SMOKER", so do I simply smoke for the same amount of time using the MES unit's smoker? And do I do full damper open?

I'll see if I can find that sauce and rub at the grocery store.

Wrap it in foil and then towels and pop it in a cooler. It should keep in there for at least 2 hours if not 1 or 2 more. If you can smoke for the whole time I'd do it. Use the MES chip tray but be sure not to add any more chips until you don't see any smoke coming out the top damper, which should always be wide open. It usually comes to anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour for chip reloads. 

Good luck and remember the pics!

Alright thank you. So even after its reached the proper temp and ready to take out, just wrap it in foil and towels then into the cooler? It won't keep cooking or become dry that way? Do I bother letting it sit first like that how to describes?

Also, with regards to the chips, I find mine stops smoking at about the 30 minute mark, there is usually some black chunks left inside the tray, but its not smoking anymore at that point.

Alright thank you. So even after its reached the proper temp and ready to take out, just wrap it in foil and towels then into the cooler? It won't keep cooking or become dry that way? Do I bother letting it sit first like that how to describes?

Also, with regards to the chips, I find mine stops smoking at about the 30 minute mark, there is usually some black chunks left inside the tray, but its not smoking anymore at that point.
No, it won't become dry..actually the reverse. The meat, as it cools slightly, will reabsorb it's juices and become epic. I'd wrap and cooler it without letting it sit out.....Willie. As far as the chips...time to invest in a gizmo from Todd..either pellets or dust smoker, to maintain hours of hassle free smoking....

I'm following the process in this post.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/99125/chuckie-step-by-step-with-qview

he mentioned he wrapped in tin foil and leaves it in the smoker at 100 F instead of the cooler? But since I need to transport it and it might be done early I was going to let it sit n the smoker like he suggests at 100, then still in foil wrap it in a towel and into a cooler for an hour to transport and rest?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky