crisping chicken skin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluefrog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Delray Beach, Florida
I remember a disscussion a while back about how to get the skin to crisp up on chicken. Someone reported that they had heard that dusting the skin lightly with corn starch would cause it to crisp up in a slow smoke. Did anyone ever try this? And if so did it work?

Scott

Don't know about cornstrarch. I raise my smoker temp to about 265 when the chicken hits about 165-170 and that crisps it up pretty good. I try not to spritz it the last 15-20 minutes either.

I don't have any issues getting a crisp skin with normal spritzing....but truth is.....no one here eats the skin except the dog.
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

Once I pull a Butt-Chicken from the smoker.....I strip the skin first thing before pulling the meat from it.

If I want crispy skin chicken, I'll just fry up a mess.....JMO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky