Creasote problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redbrinkman1955

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
mishawaka In.
Has anyone had a Creosote problem just read about how it builds up if your smoker isnt vented properly, and it can turn your meat bitter.
would like to know more info if anyone know more about this problem
Thanks
Good Luck and Good Smoking
Redbrinkman1955
icon_smile.gif

Creosote buildup is usually caused by burning green wood or restricted air flow. I don't burn green wood and I keep my top damper wide open.

As I understand creosote is created when the temperature of the smoke drops to the point that the nasties are allowed to condense, sticking to your smoker, and to what ever you are cooking. So, I suppose making sure you get your cooker up to temp before adding cold meat would help.

Additionally, I use lump charcoal. I would suppose that since the lump burns hotter than most other fuels, creosote creation would be reduced.

Hope this helps,

A couple of things I've learned about creosote and preventing it.

First, you want to make sure that you have enough air flow. Second, you want to make sure that whatever you are using for fuel (charcoal, lump, etc.) is hot enough to cumbust whatever you add. In other words if you have a tiny little fire don't add a huge log to it. I have even noticed a difference between chips and chunks in my vertical smoker. The chips burn much better and give off the thin blue smoke that you are looking for. Remember, as Dutch once told me "White billowing smoke is evil..." Third, never add cold meat to your smoker. Creosote attaches to cold much like condensation on a cold glass. Let the meat set out at room temp for about a half hour. Make sure your smoker has "settled down" and is emitting a thin blue ribbon of smoke before putting the meat in. I remember the first time I smoked a brisket and thought it was great that I could barely see the smoker for the smoke, the meat was awful, tounge numbing in fact, creosote!!

PM me if you have any questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky