Crazy Deep Dish CI Grilled Italian Hoagie (W Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
UGH!! I took a couple week hiatus and didn't post anything because I felt like I was blowing up the forum. Seems as though I may be back in that mode :emoji_anguished: Tracy wanted me to make the Italian Beef sandwiches again last night that I posted yesterday. I got a wild hair and decided to do something different and overrode her decision. This really isn't a hoagie, it's not a pizza, a Stromboli, or a calzone. It's kind of a fusion of all those things. One thing is for certain though, it is definitely Italian!!

Start with a couple links of homemade spicy Italian sausage
001.jpg

Get them in the pan to cook
004.jpg

Cut up some red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and onions
003.jpg

Sausage all done. Gonna slice it up pretty thin
005.jpg

007.jpg

Take two 8" CI skillets, spray them with non-stick cooking spray. Got a roll of Pillsbury Croissants out of the fridge. The roll had 8 extra large (jumbo?) Croissants in it. Place 4 into each skillet, mush and mash them around so the bottom of the pans are covered leaving the points hanging over the sides of the pans
006.jpg

This is where I decided to give them the designation of "Hoagie". Got this in a gift exchange from our good friend chef jimmyj chef jimmyj It is wonderful!!
002.jpg

Spread some into the bottoms of the skillets
008.jpg

Sausage
009.jpg

Veggies
010.jpg

More of the hoagie sauce
011.jpg

Parmigano Reggiano cheese
013.jpg

Fold the points inward and brush with egg wash
016.jpg

Sprinkle of crushed red pepper
018.jpg

Both onto the grill
020.jpg

Grill running about 475* and cover with the pizza dome
022.jpg

15 or 20 minutes later we are eating an amazing Italian fusion meal
026.jpg

As stated, this was decidedly Italian. It was also a ton of fun to make, and both of us had a blast eating it. I almost felt bad cutting into it because it looked like something I should frame and put on the wall :emoji_wink: The beauty of this is, as with a pizza, you're unlimited in what you can put in/on it. Anything you like can be used, and it doesn't even need to be Italian themed. The croissants gave an amazing crust. Soft, light, and really flavorful. We both decided it was far better than a standard pizza crust. Something to note though, if you do this and use CI as I did, I highly recommend sliding the "hoagie" out of the pan immediately upon bringing it into the house. The CI retains a lot of heat for a long time and it'll burn the bottom if you leave it in there. I saw the bottom continuing to darken so I took it out of the skillet and put it on a plate. Yep, I've done a few crazy things the past couple years but this one has to be right up there at the top of the list. Crazy or not, this is definitely going to get done again. The advent of the "pizza dome" has been a game changer. Stuff just cooks so much more evenly top and bottom than just putting them on the grill without it. I always had either the bottom burned or the top raw but this balances the heating a bunch. Well folks, that's a wrap. I'll try not to post anything else for a while but this was just too cool not to share.

See y'all in a couple weeks,
Robert

Beautiful Dang if you didn't hit another one out of the park. !!!!

Gary

I am going to have to echo what Gary said you hit this one out of the park! Simple yet off the wall and you looks so good! Will have to add this to my list of every growing things to try out that you have done. Big points my friend!

I am going to have to echo what Gary said you hit this one out of the park! Simple yet off the wall and you looks so good! Will have to add this to my list of every growing things to try out that you have done. Big points my friend!

Thanks John!! You're right on all counts. It was surprisingly easy to put together and I was thrilled with what it looked like when I removed the pizza dome. I smiled too when Tracy came in from her crafting room as the dinner bell rang. All she could say was "wow...that's beautiful"

Like it when she's happy,
Robert

Robert that looks really good and seems easy enough for someone like me to make.

I definitely need to try this. It’s a good way to incorporate some soppressata and prosciutto I have in the fridge.

I definitely need to try this. It’s a good way to incorporate some soppressata and prosciutto I have in the fridge.

Absolutely with the sausage!! One thing I'd recommend is keeping the cheese I used (or Pecorino Romano) for flavor but add some mozzarella for that melted textural gooiness.

Robert

Awesome looking deal just a great idea. It wasn't ordered out like some one we know whom I will not name.

Warren

It's probably best that you not mention Joe's name. If someone found out that our good friend xray xray was ordering take out, he might catch a bunch of grief and heartache over it. Like you, I won't mention him either :emoji_laughing: Best that we keep it under wraps.

Bowing at the feet of the King of Take Out,
Robert

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked and xray
I for one (and I'm sure many others) certainly enjoy the posts and different ideas for variety. Have a few bookmarked for when time and weather will allow.

Killer Strom-Hoagie-Zonee! Glad you like the sauce...JJ

Robert that is a home run Italian creation!! I am going to definitely try this just subbing in fathead dough for the dough. That hoagie sauce looks interesting too.

I just found this Beauty!! Sorry I'm so Late!
No, it's not a Hoagie, but it looks Better than a Hoagie!!
Around here a Hoagie is a Sammy in a Big old "Hoagie" roll.
As in "Cheesesteak Hoagie" or "LunchMeat Hoagie" or "Meatball Hoagie", etc, etc, etc.
I like yours better because the Meat to Bread Ratio in yours is much better than it is in one of those Big Old Hoagie Rolls!!!
I Like It !!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky