Couple Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ishee

Original poster
May 6, 2009
I was reading a post on here somwhere and it got me to thinking that I might be trying to get to much smoke.Is it necessary that the smoker smokes the whole time you are cooking. I usually use ALOT of chips while I am smoking. If I see it not smoking then I add some more chips. I prolly use a small bag or so each time. Am I adding to many chips. Also is it better to have the chips wet or dry. I seen that you want a thin blue smoke and not a billowing smoke right. Just trying to educate myself so I can smoke it up when I get home from work.

I do not soak my wood chips. The general rule of thumb on smoke is if you can smell it so can the meat your cooking. If you are at the smoker and there isnt a good smoke flavor then you may need to add chips. I usually add them about every 1.5 hours or so.

Hope this helps.

I use the smaller chips and not the chunks when I smoke. I try to let them soak for at least 1 full hour but prefer to have them soaking for 3-4 before I use them. The longer they soak I find they last longer and I go through less and get a better smoke out of them.

Good smoke on right, bad smoke on left. Supposedly once meat gets to a 140º internal, the interior of the meat will really accept no more smoke. The surface though will continue to take on smoke. I usually cut way back after 140º is achieved.
I also soak my chunks of wood.

Thin an blue, dry chips an shake the pan ever now an again, keeps em in better contact with the hot surface ifin yall usine a pan.

If ya smell smoke ya smokin!

Thanks for the replys. I think I will cut back on the chips a little. I usually have alot of smoke and the food turns out good but I want it to be better. Thanks for the tips on the meat not taking much smoke after 140. That will help to cause I put wood chips on till the end and I am prolly wasting them. Thanks again

These folks know their stuff...I always use a pre-determined amount of wood chunks at beggining of smoke and this gives me a consistent profile...i like to practice/experiment though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky