Couple of quick questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

padronman

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Good morning good people.  Couple questions.   I have had my Belly in Pop's Brine for 10 days and I am ready to smoke those bad boys.  I am going to rinse them good before smoking and do a quick fry test as well. I am going to hot smoke it not cold.  My questions are this

1.)  Is a pellicle REALLY a necessary thing?  I know the pellicle helps smoke adhere to meat but my brother never does this step and his bacon is amazing.  I mean....I don't form a pellicle on my Pork Butts and they take smoke just fine.  Will it harm the bacon if I skip the pellicle? 

2.)  What is a good internal temp for Hot smoked bacon?  I have seen several answers.  My brother I believe takes his to 135F.  I have seen as high as 150F.  Whats a good safe IT?  Since it's cured is 135F enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

Scott

I don't believe you really need a pellicle.  I always do it thou.

Since it is cured no IT is needed.   A lot of people cold smoke.

I just warm smoke mine for 12 hours, never check the IT.

I don't believe you really need a pellicle.  I always do it thou.

Since it is cured no IT is needed.   A lot of people cold smoke.

I just warm smoke mine for 12 hours, never check the IT.
Ok cool on the Pellicle.  I didn't really think it was overly necessary for good bacon. 

Ok so no IT necessary cool.  I'll probably follow my brothers recipe and pull at 135F just cause I know what that turns out like. 

Planning on smoking at say 200F or so.

Oh one other question.....do you remove the skin before smoking? After? Not at all?

Thanks

Scott

Good morning good people.  Couple questions.   I have had my Belly in Pop's Brine for 10 days and I am ready to smoke those bad boys.  I am going to rinse them good before smoking and do a quick fry test as well. I am going to hot smoke it not cold.  My questions are this

1.)  Is a pellicle REALLY a necessary thing?  I know the pellicle helps smoke adhere to meat but my brother never does this step and his bacon is amazing.  I mean....I don't form a pellicle on my Pork Butts and they take smoke just fine.  Will it harm the bacon if I skip the pellicle? 

2.)  What is a good internal temp for Hot smoked bacon?  I have seen several answers.  My brother I believe takes his to 135F.  I have seen as high as 150F.  Whats a good safe IT?  Since it's cured is 135F enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

Scott
#1   If you don't get it good & dry, with or without a pellicle, it is quite possible for the smoke to form a slimy foul tasting coating on the surface. Cured things like Bacon, CB, BBB, Fish, etc are a completely different thing than a seasoning rubbed Pork Butt.

#2  If you're going to eat CB, BBB, or Belly Bacon without cooking it first, it should be taken to 145° IT when Smoking. (Cured or not cured)

The fact that it's cured doesn't mean you don't have to take it to 145°. It only means you can take longer than 4 hours to get to 140°, before going to 145°.

Extra question: Are you going to eat the Skin??  If not, why deprive the Bacon of the Smoke that the skin will absorb?

Bear

Last edited:
I remove mine before curing.

I would try to keep the smoker temp under 150.

One thing I should confirm.

Your first post told me you were going to Hot Smoke, and you talked about Internal Temps that tell me you want it safe to eat without further cooking. That's what Pops does, and that's why I said 145° IT.

Normally I personally Warm smoke with temps between 100° and 130°. I don't go for any finished IT, but it usually ends up between 110° and 125°. I go by color, which IMO has to do with taste, and I usually give it 9 to 12 hours with my AMNPS at those Smoker temps.

Pulling it at 135°, like your brother does is fine if you're going to fry it before eating.

Bear

#1   If you don't get it good & dry, with or without a pellicle, it is quite possible for the smoke to form a slimy foul tasting coating on the surface. Cured things like Bacon, CB, BBB, Fish, etc are a completely different thing than a seasoning rubbed Pork Butt.

#2  If you're going to eat CB, BBB, or Belly Bacon without cooking it first, it should be taken to 145° IT when Smoking. (Cured or not cured)

The fact that it's cured doesn't mean you don't have to take it to 145°. It only means you can take longer than 4 hours to get to 140°, before going to 145°.

Extra question: Are you going to eat the Skin??  If not, why deprive the Bacon of the Smoke that the skin will absorb?

Bear
Thanks Bear.  All good points.  I am definitely going to "fry" the bacon before eating it.  So IT won't really matter as much.   I will attempt to de-skin the bacon before going into the smoker today.  I am not going to eat it.  Next time I will de-skin before curing too.

I am going to take out of the cure.  Rinse well.  Pat dry.  Then put in fridge uncovered for a bit to dry it out more.  Is this cool?  I can't leave it on counter because I have NOSEY cats....ugh

Thanks

Scott

One thing I should confirm.

Your first post told me you were going to Hot Smoke, and you talked about Internal Temps that tell me you want it safe to eat without further cooking. That's what Pops does, and that's why I said 145° IT.

Normally I personally Warm smoke with temps between 100° and 130°. I don't go for any finished IT, but it usually ends up between 110° and 125°. I go by color, which IMO has to do with taste, and I usually give it 9 to 12 hours with my AMNPS at those Smoker temps.

Pulling it at 135°, like your brother does is fine if you're going to fry it before eating.

Bear
Yes going to fry before eating.   I shoulda been clearer!!!   Thanks Bear

Scott

Thanks Again Bear.  You are a gentleman and a scholar
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky