couple of questions regarding my new MES 30" smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kryinggame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Guys, I know I ask a lot of questions and here are a few more:

1 - My first question is, what time should I start the butt?

I have a party Saturday night, starting at 5:00 P.M., earlier today I picked up a 7lb boston butt.Assuming I went with the 1.5 hours for every pound, that equates to 10.5 hours to smoke. The one thing that I question is the wrapping time. I've read that once the butt is ready (200 degrees), (prior to pulling it apart), I should wrap it in aluminum foil and let it sit in cooler. How long should I let it sit (before pulling it apart)?

Again, based upon these 2 situations, how much time should I give myself.

2 - I'm currently preseasoning my smoker.  As I understand, the max temperature is 175 degrees. My smoker is currently reading 188 degrees. The temperature is flucuating from 168 - 188 degrees.

Is this normal for the temperature to change so heavily? And, it's not a windy night.

Thanks everyone!

Guys, I know I ask a lot of questions and here are a few more:

1 - My first question is, what time should I start the butt?

I have a party Saturday night, starting at 5:00 P.M., earlier today I picked up a 7lb boston butt.Assuming I went with the 1.5 hours for every pound, that equates to 10.5 hours to smoke. The one thing that I question is the wrapping time. I've read that once the butt is ready (200 degrees), (prior to pulling it apart), I should wrap it in aluminum foil and let it sit in cooler. How long should I let it sit (before pulling it apart)? I would start at 5 AM (or sooner) to give myself enough time.

Keep the internal temp above 140º while resting. Anything below 140º IT will get you in the danger zone.(that's a whole new discission)

Again, based upon these 2 situations, how much time should I give myself. 2 hours per lb. minimum

2 - I'm currently preseasoning my smoker. As I understand, the max temperature is 175 degrees. My smoker is currently reading 188 degrees. The temperature is flucuating from 168 - 188 degrees.

Is this normal for the temperature to change so heavily? And, it's not a windy night.

What type smoker do you have?

Thanks everyone!

First off... That's the purpose off the forums is to ask questions... So NEVER feel you ask to many questions...

I just did a close to 7 lb butt and it took 8 hrs at temps of 225-250` (on at 7am-off at 3 pm)

When your butt reaches an IT (internal temp) of 155` or so, wrap it in a about 4 layers of foil and take the IT up to 205` or so...

Now pull it off the smoker and wrap a couple more times with more foil then put it in a cooler with a bunch of old towels stuffed all around it... It will hold the heat until you are ready pull it apart and serve it (at least an hour in the cooler)...

Here is a finishing sauce that works great on PP (pulled pork)
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/49892/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork

Add a little to the PP at a time until it gets to the taste that you like, be careful, the vinegar will overpower it if you use to much...

GL with your PP

Guys, thanks for the advice.

A young lady whom I'm trying to impress will be at the party so I can't have any mistakes. lol

Raptor 700, I have a 30 inch Masterbuilt smoker.

Thanks again!

Me and Keith have gave you some good advice but you're gonna have to get to at least 225º on your smoker to impress your girl 
biggrin.gif

You may try to wrap it with wool blankets or some sort of insulation.

One more thing.. the juices left in the foil.... just dump them back into the PP after its all pulled apart... try to separate the fat from the butt as your pulling it apart and discard it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky