couple of pork questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ty stromquist

Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Ok tommorow doing my second butt. Got 2 butts that are about 7 lbs each with bone in.

I was looking at that finishing sauce posted above and was thinking of doing that.

Some others say to use a drip pan and catch the drippings and use them in the sauce. Whats a drip pan?

Do you think I should smoke for about 6 hours then let wrap it in foil or just let it roll the rest of the time in the smoker?

Also have read where people put onions, peppers, garlic, etc into the water pan. Does this help or is it worth my time?

Sorry guys. Lots of newbie questions cuz well im a newbie.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Im using an upright Smokey Mountain gas smoker with hickory from walmart.

what he said. i'd throw a couplebulbsof garlic& a whole unpeeled onion on too- add that to youfinishing sauce- goby your taste instinct... think what would taste good.....and add a couple ears of corn to the smoker- sprayon melted butter or add a stick of whole butter to a pan... you won't regret it.

so i can just buy one of those disposable pans and use it just underneath the meat?

Hi,
I am new to smoking also. I have done only 5 butts. I have it down to where the meat just falls apart.

I would BBQ until 165° @ 225° then wrap in foil. Take the butt to 195° then remove from BBQ and wrap in 2 towels and put in a dry cooler for 2 hours. Unwrap and enjoy pulled pork.

I think you will be looking at 10 +- hours total time at least. I learned this the hard way, give it time, that is the solution to good BBQ, do not try and rush it. Give yourself some time.

As far as adding something to the water pan, my opinion is... Not much reason, the flavor is in the RUB, time and smoke.

Good luck, let everyone know how it goes...

the whole idea of adding something to the drip pan(not to be confused w/ a vertical smoker water pan) is for the juices & flavoring to be made into a finishing sauce or au jus later or a simmering sauce- lets not get the drip pan in an offset smoker confused w/ a heat dispensation water pan in a vertical- 2 totally different things. yet you can use a lower rack in a vertical for a drip pan(just don't put poultry above that pan if yer doing beef or pork..

Definitely use a finishing sauce, I find that the vinegar in there will help soften the meat and gives it a whole new level of taste. I have never been disappointed.

You might also want to try rubbing the outside of the meat with yellow mustard, this helps keep moisture in the meat and also holds the rub on the meat.

One other thing to try is injecting the meat with a mixture of apple juice, brown sugar, and a bit of salt.

As for the tray I actually place my meat right in the aluminum pan. The disposable kind. This also helps ( or at least I think so) keep the meat moist. I get over protective of keeping it moist. Because most people seem to grade it on how moist it is. (Oooh that was great it was soooo moist)

The rule of thumb that I use is that after about 140F it is believed that you do not take on any more smoke flavor. So if I decide to wrap a butt/shoulder I will do it once it hits 140F. Leave it in there until it reaches 205F and it will just fall apart.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky