Couple of Butts - Q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davenh

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 16, 2008
Hudson, NH.
Got a family thing this Saturday and got elected to do the cooking
icon_smile.gif

Starting a couple 8lb butts tonight, ribs and chicken on early Saturday morning so they're ready for noon.

Rubbed up the butts and started them around midnight. Topped of the smoke generator and heading to bed. Will check on them around 7am
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Some q-view to get things started.

Butts rubbed with mustard, paprika, chili powder, garlic salt, emeril's essence and brown sugar. Will start spraying them in the morning with apple juice/brown sugar mix.

DSCN2021.JPG

On the smoker at 235, using hickory.

DSCN2022.JPG

More in the morning, goodnight
icon_smile.gif

Gee that looks great already! You've got some great Q going for ya.

looking good. a friend and neighbor is buying a bunch of cold beer sat for another fellas b-day for helping him frame a porch in on his house. and i did all the drywall and painting. and my b-day is friday. kind of a duel party, lol. if i can get a few $ chipped in for the cuts im doing a couple briskets friday for sats party. the taste the smell. man aint life good.
biggrin.gif

Lookin' great! Y'all have a great family git-together and I know they picked you to do the cookin' for one reason only... they know it's gonna be delicious! Great start to a happy weekend!

Looks like a great start Dave

Thanks guys...nothing like good food, family and some cooler weather
icon_smile.gif

Slept til 7:30 and woke up to a nice hickory aroma, the smoke generator is working well
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
. Butts did well on their own without any spritzing and are sitting at 161 internal temp after 7.5 hrs.

Here's the morning q-view.

Flipped, rotated and sprayed the butts with apple juice/brown sugar mix.

DSCN2025.JPG

Pork butt omelet sounds good right about now
icon_smile.gif

I was saying to myself you should make a breakfast pork omelet, then I saw your last sentence.
biggrin.gif

Those butts look awesome, and it's good to hear that your smoke generator is working, must be nice to be able to sleep at night.
icon_smile.gif

Those Butts are looking real good.. Weatherwise your weekend should be a smash! Add the food for perfection.. Love them butts man..

Great thing having good neighbors. My buddy across the street and I are always working on a project for one of us.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Pork butt is one of my favorites along with ribs and turkey. Could live on those three
icon_smile.gif

Here's a pic at 9.5 hrs. Butts are stalling and the temps have drop 4 degrees. Internal temps are around 157 now. Spray them again with apple juice/brown sugar mix.

DSCN2027.JPG

More as it goes
icon_smile.gif

Wasn't much of a stall
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
. Temp on the bottom top one is getting close 164, the bottom one is 161. I'll foil them at 165.

Around 11hrs in. Bark is looking awesome
icon_smile.gif
. Something keeps nagging at me to tear a chunk off.

DSCN2029.JPG

Things are looking great, looking forward to the "fall apart" pull that is coming!!!!!
wink.gif

What was the B sugar to juice ratio if I may ask and how many time straying. That bark is lookin nice.

Thanks guys
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I mix about a 1/2C brown sugar to 10oz apple juice (I buy the apple juice in six packs of 10oz bottles). For butts I wait awhile for my first spray, then spray every 1.5 ~ 2hrs. This smoke I sprayed first after 7.5hrs, then 9.5 and 11hrs. I use the same spray on ribs, ribs get a spray each hour.

Never fails to build up a nice bark
icon_smile.gif

Hi LOTR
icon_smile.gif

Not as warm as you 66°, but not bad. I like this time of year in NH. Good working weather
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
. Were averaging in the low 70's. On the other hand, want to trade places in 3 mths? By then I'll be sick of dragging out the snowblower
biggrin.gif

Here's a pic of the first butt going into the foil with some apple juice. The other butt is at 164, so getting close.

DSCN2031.JPG

DaveNH,
Yeah lets trade now, its too freakin hot down here, coming off a really hot summer (typical for folks down here) its 90deg+ every day, not something i'm becoming fond of. I thought i would like it but its very different from our neck of the woods. Well when your snowblowing think of me smoking ribs by the pool!

This is the type of Q-view I send. (my condo's pool with my WSM and lots of other nice eye candy)

Anyways, good to meet another NH'er! Nice Q-view!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky