Country style rib question

Discussion in 'Pork' started by flagriller, Oct 4, 2007.

1. flagriller

flagriller Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Picked up two packs yesterday at .99 cents per pound. They are boneless. Any tips on smoking these since they are boneless and fatter than regular ribs. I think the 3-2-1 method would be too long.

Thanks

2. crewdawg52

crewdawg52 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've done them before and all I do is put rub on and smoke, spritzing every hr with apple juice. Usually takes around 3 hrs or 165*-175*. Below is from the Hormel web site.

Country-Style Ribs

Ribs taken from the blade end of the loin closest to the shoulder. Country-style ribs are meatier than other ribs but they are not as easy to eat, due to their bone structure and fat running through the meat. They include a minimum of 3 ribs and can be as many as 6 with bones or boneless.

3. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

My guess from what you described (and what I have seen locally) is that you got the top part of the boston butt. Many different things get packaged as a Country Style Rib since that phrase is just kind of a made up store marketing style type name and not really a butchering cut.

Rambling out of the way........treat it more like a butt than a rib. Watch the internal, maybe stop at a lower temp than you do with the butt and slice it depending on what you are looking for with them.

4. flagriller

flagriller Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ad 'em to the list for the 13th[​IMG]

5. goat

goat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Here are some that I cooked the other day. I seasoned them with a rub consisting of black pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, and salt, and slow cooked them on the open fire for about 45 minutes. I then wrapped them in foil, sauced them with Sweet Baby Ray's, and let them cook for another 45 minutes. Slap yo mama good.
    [​IMG]

6. brianj517

brianj517 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I do these frequently because they are usually on sale and cheap around here. Treat them as you do a Boston butt as far as rub and smoker temp goes but understand that they cook much faster than a whole shoulder roast. Best way is to use a probe thermo and remove any time after internal temp reaches 165*

If your in a hurry, a quicker way is to rub/marinade the night before. When ready to cook, let them take on smoke for about an hour or so and then finish them on a medium heat grill 4-6 minutes per side depending on thickness, then glaze with a lite coat of your favorite mop/bbq sauce.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Brian

7. billyq

billyq Smoking Fanatic

These do need to be wrapped in foil as they are so lean. Give yourself a couple of hours. Spritz them with apple juice before wrapping to give them a braise.

8. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Boil em!... c'mon I'm just kidding

If it were me I'd do em like Goat was saying.. they should come out great that way

9. I make 'em here from time to time...you're right they're very inexpensive. I've just straight grilled them before, and they were great. Last time I rubbed them, put 'em on the smoker with some hickory for about 3 hours @ 230 and they were great, had a smoke ring, and were as juicy as can be. I got some without bones, with a nice piece of fat running through, and some that actually had a baby back type bone connected to the back, a small membrane piece to remove, and a huge chunk of meat connected to the bone, those were the best. I try to get the packs with the most pieces with the bones attached.

Thanks, now I'm hungery, and I don't have time before work to smoke anything!!!!! Poor old Me! [​IMG]

10. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

WAY WAY back in the day..............from a cook book "The Good Housekeeping Illusrated Cookbook"........talks about par-boiling em with a couple med. sized onions.........drain......the set in fridge overnite.......

then "GRILL" em till done/browned.........turned out great.......not smoked tho...........

but i know par-boiling is a no-no here..........

d8de