Correct size for FB and CC opening (120 gallon tank)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

txsmoker76

Original poster
Apr 19, 2016
Hello all. I am building a horizontal reverse smoker out of a 120 gallon tank. I have cut the door and installed hinges. Working on racks right now, but I'm a little stumped. My FB will be 24x24x24. What would be the correct size opening for both the FB and CC?

Thank you for the info Dave. I will look at it and hopefully get an idea.

Hello all. I am building a horizontal reverse smoker out of a 120 gallon tank. I have cut the door and installed hinges. Working on racks right now, but I'm a little stumped. My FB will be 24x24x24. What would be the correct size opening for both the FB and CC?
110.9 sq. inches  FB to CC opening

Gary

Thanks Gary. I used the Felton calculator and it's telling me that my stack should be about 55.3 inches long with a 4" diameter pipe. Does that sound about right?

Feldon's bases all it's numbers on the size of the Firebox, which is not correct....   My calculator bases the numbers on the size of the Cook Chamber...  You are better off using my calculator...

Thanks Gary. I used the Felton calculator and it's telling me that my stack should be about 55.3 inches long with a 4" diameter pipe. Does that sound about right?
No    46 "  for 4"  ,    20.6 " for 6"      29.65  for 5"         Decide what you thinks looks best on your smoker

Gary

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. So am I good with the 24x24x24 size FB? I will try to post pics of the build that I have so far tonight.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky