Corning the Flat and smoking the Point.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

white cloud

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 27, 2007
Riley Center MI
Well as some of you know I picked up my first brisket on Thursday, it was 9#'s. On Friday morning I separated the two parts, the flat for curing and the point for smoking. The flat weighing in at 5#'s and the point at 4, the cost was $18.77. For the flat I opted for this recipe because the weather is going into the single digits and I did't have room in the fridge for a bucket. The flat was about 12" long and 8" wide and I had a tupperware marinating container that it would fit in, It's flippable.
post_old.gif
03-15-2007, 05:06 AM
SMOKIN' BURT
user_offline.gif

Just Gettin' Started
reputation_pos.gif

E-Z Corned Venison recipe
Heres one I use a lot.....

Per 4-6 lbs of Venison (I use nice lean hindquarter sections)
5 Tbsp. Morton Tenderquick salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. coarse ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. mixed pickling spice
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground bay leaf
1 tsp. ground allspice
2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all dry ingredients well in a large bowl or shake in a sealed zip-lock bag until mixed well
Place meat portions in a gallon zip-lock bag(s) and add the dry ingredients, seal the bag and work the seasonings onto and into the meat until well covered
Refridgerate for 5-7 days working the ingredients around in the bag once a day (allow 5 days per 2" thickness of meat)
To prepare place the meat with the contents of the bag into a large enough pan to cover well with water and bring to a boil. reduce to a medium simmer and cook until tender. The wife has been using a pressure cooker lately to save time and it works out well
Enjoy!!!!!!
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Now I always assumed brining was the only way to corn a brisket to maked corned beef, but I guess I assumed wrong. After all it is a curing process wether it be dry or wet. And this recipe had all the spices that I would like in a corned beef. ( I have to try the venison if I get lucky next year.). So the flat is curing until wednesday, I will let everyone know how it turns out. Now lets get to the point shall we. And please any input will be appreciated.
First let me say I had puchased another digital probe thermometer just for the internal temp of the smoker which I am glad I did because the cheap temp gage on the door is off by 40*. No wonder when I smoked two 12# turkey around Christmas they were done in 4 1/2 hours. So I cut a block of cherry 1"x 1"x 2" long and drilled a hole through it to insert the probe. ( which is still stuck in the block, must of been the humidity )
I gave the point section a rub and let it set overnight. Fired up the only grill I have, a weber three burner and brought it up to 550* and seared it. The flames were intense and I had a short fork, plus I was sceptical about really blackening the outside despite everything I read about it. It got black, but I only let it go about three minutes per side. The smoker was at 225* and ready to go so there it went with CHERRY WOOD. There was quite a bit of fat on/in it that I chose not to mop it but instead spray with the only thing I had at/in hand which was beer. I quit smoking after 140* and was going to let it go till 165* until foiling but I took a peek at 155* and it just looked like I should foil it, so I did. From then on I just let it go till it hit 200*, which was only 4hrs.38mins.. Never a plateau and even though it's an electric smoker, what was 225* at med. high on the controler and stayed pretty constant, until foiling and the probe was about four inches away from the foil had to be turned down to low because the probe was reading 240* ( but not for long).
So we hit 200* internal meat temp and I tossed the foil pack in small cooler and let it set for two hours. When opening the pack there was a incredible amount of juice inside, so I poured it into a bowl and set in the freezer, just to solidify and remove the fat. Like I said there was alot fat on the point, so after trimming I sliced it up against the grain as I always do with corned beef. It had a great flavor but really wasn't as tender as I was hoping for. I just took the remaining juice and poured onto the sliced brisket and will re-heat tommorow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky